Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default LFS claimed wild caught fishes are better

Well reefers from Calgary must know about Gold's aquarium since they always carry the best deals in down in both livestock and equipment. The other day I was asking the owner which fishes are captive bred, he said that he stopped keeping captive bred since wild ones are more resistant to diseases and are much more colorful. He even gave the technical reasoning for claiming that wild ones are more resistant to diseases because the captive bred are all coming from (more or less) a single generation and hence they are more pron to diseases (its like keeping on taking the same medication over and over again and that person' generation will slowly develop resistant to the medicine and thus the medicine will not work and hence the disease can take over).

I got really confused because I thought captive bred are more resistant to "aquarium" diseases. His logic seems reasonable to me too.

What do you people think?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 PM

Reefgoat is on a distinguished road

I can't speak to the current situation with captive breeding as I have no first hand experience. In the long term I would think that proper selective breeding should be able to produce fish that are both as beautiful as any wild specimen as well as hardier in a captive environment.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 PM

That's what I think too but that claim got me thinking. Apart from the ethical issue, the rest of the claims seem valid.

Would love to get more opinions. Because that store sells livestock for dead cheap!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:08 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Curious. I purchased a tank bred fish there five weeks ago.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Wild caught are cheaper, so likely more profit....
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 PM

I think tank bred are way too hardy.

Just to do "kind of" an experiment, I added a captive bred clownfish on the very day when I received my cured live rock (no fish police I hope :P). And guess what? It is still kicking and way too playful (tank's running more than a month now). Then I got a wild one few weeks after adding the first one, and suddenly it stopped eating, mouths were stuck open and I knew it would get ich very soon and I was true and had to put it out of its misery.

This caused me to be curious since my situation is either caused by the fish being wild or the fish being sick initially!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Wild caught are cheaper, so likely more profit....
Extremely cheap! CB clownfishes go around for like $30 while wild ones are llike $15! Tempting but still I don't want to get wild ones unless I am sure that they are actually better than CB.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:20 PM

lpsreefer is on a distinguished road

Golds takes care of all the fishes in the store. You'll almost never see a died fish. Also they make sure they qt the fish until it looks healthy.
I'm not to sure who you where talking to but they have all been into salt/fresh water for many years. with Dave, Doug, Kevin and Ollie. That's a lot of experiance.
There is a lot of talk about captive bred and wild but I have yet to see a captive bred tang, trigger, etc.. Not saying it can't be done. Clowns sure why not.

I like when you have a question they well anwser it to the best of thier knownledge.

Almost all my fish are from golds or red coral that I have bought from stores.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 PM

lpsreefer is on a distinguished road

If you qt any wild fish you should have a problem.
Cb fish have already been qt.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 PM

Yah gold's does have a very good rep and that's why I think there's something reasonable for not selling captive bred.

About the dead fish in the tank, I actually saw quite a few dead fishes in few of my visits over there :P