Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 09-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Enigma's 2012 Nano Contest Entry

I'm having a difficult time, in my display system, of balancing the needs of a mixed reef. LPS do very well, while SPS survive but don't thrive. My goal for this nano is to provide an optimal and sustainable environment for my SPS corals (higher light and higher flow).

For this build, I've chosen an all-in-one 24 Gallon Nano Cube DX, which will be filled with 19.5 gallons of saltwater. The remaining volume will be filled with rock, sand, and equipment. The only external component to the system will be the automatic top-up.

Another part of the challenge, for me, is in trying to use as much equipment that I have laying around as possible. The costs of this build are approximately a 50/50 split between what has been purchased new and what is salvage, and the costs work out to around $100 per gallon (before livestock). I have only purchased what I felt was absolutely required to ensure that my goals are successfully met.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
the costs work out to around $100 per gallon
You're at $2000.00 without livestock for a nano??Is that a typo?
Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

holy shelley $100/per gallon, is there sleep in my eyes still

i love where tis is going though so far and ill be watching to see what you come up with

good luck
Old 09-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Not a typo. This baby is getting a full Apex and custom DIY LEDs. Those add up! As do all of the other bits and pieces. In looking at this tank, it isn't going to look any different from any other NC24 on the outside except for one tiny little thing.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 PM

What 19.5 gallons of water looks like in an NC24.

It could be tough to fill up the void.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
What 19.5 gallons of water looks like in an NC24.

It could be tough to fill up the void.

sandbed??
Old 09-15-2012, 06:51 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

VDSB...
Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
sandbed??
I just figured out a little trick.

If I use the little surface skimmer that comes with the Nano Cubes, it keeps the display full and enables me to reduce the volume of water in the back chambers.

This is actually really handy. Not only can it reduce the water volume needed by a gallon (if absolutely required), it is going to give me the ability to fine tune the water level in the back chambers for the skimmer and float switches.

I honestly don't like the way the little surface skimmer looks, but it is going to prove very useful.

I really don't want to have to purchase more sand for this system if I can help it. I've got 15 pounds of 1-2mm aragonite laying around that I'm planning on using in this. I've got that cooking downstairs in a tub with the rock for this system.

I think I've got my Dremel hacks for the tank itself done (hood isn't done yet), and I think I've figured out how everything is going to fit into the back chambers. Progress is being made . . . And hubby isn't complaining about the way the kitchen table looks . . . Yet.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
VDSB...
If I do have to go VDSB . . . I'm totally going to get a blue spot jawfish!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 PM

The centre compartment in the rear has had the trim removed with a Dremel: So that the Hydor Slim Skim Nano can be squeezed in. It is a very tight fit. While it doesn't need to be forced in, getting it in requires a bit of finesse.

I've got two of the "Reef Fanatic" float sensors in the back chambers. I chose those ones as they have a suction cup mount. The suction cups don't stick very well, so once I get this thing filled and have their positions figured out I'll be attaching the mounts with silicone.

An Eheim Jäger 100W heater is back there right now, but I may swap it out. I'd prefer two 50W, as neither one of them would be able to cook the tank on its own. The cords on the Eheim Jäger heaters are really thick, and that is going to complicate things a little.

A media rack is going in the first chamber. A "Sea Side Aquatics" magnetic probe holder is in the return chamber. The temperature probe and grounding probe are in that. The tubing for the ato is also stuck in that for now.

It is a bit squishy in there! And, you get my super comfy slippers in the shot, too.