Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 AM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default SPS issues... again.

I'm boggled. Every frag of SPS in my frag tank is doing great. Polyp extension like I've never had before. Colors could be better, but considering what I'm using for lights, no surprise. In my display however... SPS are dying like crazy. I've made 2 changes that I wonder about, but if you have any suggestions, please chime in. first, I switched from t5 to led. Switch was about 2 months ago... I think. They are tried and tested sols... Can't see this being the issue. Also, I now have a flag fin angel. I don't think he's been a problem, but I'm only watching the tank for so long each day. Any ideas? The 2 tanks are in the same system/water, so I can't see how it would be a chemistry issue, but who knows? Everything else in the display is doing great. Lps, zoas/palys, clams, etc... Just the SPS that seem to be mad.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 AM

cuz is on a distinguished road

how are they dying? stn, rtn, bleaching, burnt tips???
Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Maybe basic questions but..... Are you using RO, RO/DI, tap?.....do you know what the TDS of the water you are using is?.... Have you tested the water for phosphates? .... Nitrates?..... Any leathers in the tank..... And I know you said you've never seen your angel nipping, but that doesn't mean that it isn't happening.... It seems that fish somehow know when you are watching and put their halos on
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 01-16-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:48 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
... It seems that fish somehow know when you are watching and put their halos on
Except mine........my angels make direct eye contact, open their mouths wide, chomp down and dare me to do something about it

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252

Last edited by marie; 01-16-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:51 AM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

What intensity (%) do you have the LED's at? I am not familiar personally with them but my understanding is people dial them back initially and some have burned up their coral when having them on full intensity.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
What intensity (%) do you have the LED's at? I am not familiar personally with them but my understanding is people dial them back initially and some have burned up their coral when having them on full intensity.
No techy here but I would think the LED's are giving off too much light as Palmer suggests or insufficient light (for SPS) which was problematic for the early LEDs.

I was going to suggest you post the name and model of your LEDs and one of our lighting gurus can help you out.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 AM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

T5 to LED could potentially have been a huge jump in lighting intensity. I assume your frag tank has had consistent lighting? That's a pretty obvious tell that it isn't a chemistry issue if the system is connected.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLKT View Post
T5 to LED could potentially have been a huge jump in lighting intensity. I assume your frag tank has had consistent lighting? That's a pretty obvious tell that it isn't a chemistry issue if the system is connected.

Agreed..
Old 01-16-2012, 02:30 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

They are AI Sol Blues. I started them at 30 or 35% and have been slowly ramping them up at a rate of about 5%/2-3 days. They are now at 90%. Yes, the frag tank lights have remained the same... they are cheapo LEDs... not even sure the brand name. I am running RO/DI... TDS out is kind of strange... on the Vertex built in TDS it ranges from about 1-15... on my external TDS meter, it reads around 0... not sure which one to trust, but i lean towards the external one as the RO/DI unit is brand new. My phospates are below 0.05... a little higher than I would like, but not too bad. They are dying via STN, and some have damaged/burnt tips.

I've been trying to pay extra attention to what the fish are doing lately, and I'm going to say the the flag fin may be nipping after the lights go out and the moonlights are on... it's been tough to catch him, but I'm starting to lean towards him as the culprit. Maybe. I think I may have to break out the fish trap and get rid of him... and my Lyretail jerk face Anthias while I'm in there. That said, any ideas...?? Keep 'em coming!

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLKT View Post
+2
That just leaves your lights, predators, stray voltage or SPS voodoo. You haven't said how they die.