Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   SPS issues... again. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82087)

doch 01-16-2012 02:50 AM

SPS issues... again.

I'm boggled. Every frag of SPS in my frag tank is doing great. Polyp extension like I've never had before. Colors could be better, but considering what I'm using for lights, no surprise. In my display however... SPS are dying like crazy. I've made 2 changes that I wonder about, but if you have any suggestions, please chime in. first, I switched from t5 to led. Switch was about 2 months ago... I think. They are tried and tested sols... Can't see this being the issue. Also, I now have a flag fin angel. I don't think he's been a problem, but I'm only watching the tank for so long each day. Any ideas? The 2 tanks are in the same system/water, so I can't see how it would be a chemistry issue, but who knows? Everything else in the display is doing great. Lps, zoas/palys, clams, etc... Just the SPS that seem to be mad.

cuz 01-16-2012 03:01 AM

how are they dying? stn, rtn, bleaching, burnt tips???

fishytime 01-16-2012 03:41 AM

Maybe basic questions but..... Are you using RO, RO/DI, tap?.....do you know what the TDS of the water you are using is?.... Have you tested the water for phosphates? .... Nitrates?..... Any leathers in the tank..... And I know you said you've never seen your angel nipping, but that doesn't mean that it isn't happening:wink:.... It seems that fish somehow know when you are watching and put their halos on:mrgreen:

marie 01-16-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 671671)
... It seems that fish somehow know when you are watching and put their halos on:mrgreen:

Except mine........my angels make direct eye contact, open their mouths wide, chomp down and dare me to do something about it :twised:

Palmer 01-16-2012 03:51 AM

What intensity (%) do you have the LED's at? I am not familiar personally with them but my understanding is people dial them back initially and some have burned up their coral when having them on full intensity.

naesco 01-16-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 671675)
What intensity (%) do you have the LED's at? I am not familiar personally with them but my understanding is people dial them back initially and some have burned up their coral when having them on full intensity.

No techy here but I would think the LED's are giving off too much light as Palmer suggests or insufficient light (for SPS) which was problematic for the early LEDs.

I was going to suggest you post the name and model of your LEDs and one of our lighting gurus can help you out.

MKLKT 01-16-2012 05:37 AM

T5 to LED could potentially have been a huge jump in lighting intensity. I assume your frag tank has had consistent lighting? That's a pretty obvious tell that it isn't a chemistry issue if the system is connected.

Aquattro 01-16-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKLKT (Post 671714)
T5 to LED could potentially have been a huge jump in lighting intensity. I assume your frag tank has had consistent lighting? That's a pretty obvious tell that it isn't a chemistry issue if the system is connected.

Agreed..

doch 01-16-2012 02:30 PM

They are AI Sol Blues. I started them at 30 or 35% and have been slowly ramping them up at a rate of about 5%/2-3 days. They are now at 90%. Yes, the frag tank lights have remained the same... they are cheapo LEDs... not even sure the brand name. I am running RO/DI... TDS out is kind of strange... on the Vertex built in TDS it ranges from about 1-15... on my external TDS meter, it reads around 0... not sure which one to trust, but i lean towards the external one as the RO/DI unit is brand new. My phospates are below 0.05... a little higher than I would like, but not too bad. They are dying via STN, and some have damaged/burnt tips.

I've been trying to pay extra attention to what the fish are doing lately, and I'm going to say the the flag fin may be nipping after the lights go out and the moonlights are on... it's been tough to catch him, but I'm starting to lean towards him as the culprit. Maybe. I think I may have to break out the fish trap and get rid of him... and my Lyretail jerk face Anthias while I'm in there. That said, any ideas...?? Keep 'em coming!

Reefer Rob 01-16-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKLKT (Post 671714)

+2
That just leaves your lights, predators, stray voltage or SPS voodoo. You haven't said how they die.