Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-31-2011, 04:25 AM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default Murdoch's 160G Tank Build

Well, I guess it's about time that I do up a tank journal. I've just moved my 55 up from Edmonton to Fort Mac, and the trophy wife has given the go ahead to upgrade!! YIPPEE!!

This first post is essentially going to be my plan in words... not much else.

I am having a custom tank built for this build. I've heard many say that they regret buying a used tank, so.... I'll bite the bullet and go new. The dimensions are:

48Lx30Wx26H... Euro braced, Black Silicone, External overflow in the center of the back, and an external Tunze wave box on the back left corner. The only equipment that will be visible will be the 2 Tunze 6105's... one in each rear corner, up top.

I'll be skimming with a Vertex IN 250
Lighting with a 6x54 Tek, as well as a 4x54... 10 bulbs total (All KZ, 4 Coral light II, 3 Super Blue, and 3 Fiji Purple)
Dosing with my 3 individual dosing pumps (BRS Ca, Soda Ash, and Mg)
Nutrient reduction will consist of a full Zeo system supplemented by GFO, and of course Carbon.
In the 55 gal sump will be a fuge with frag rack, and cheato.
The control system is courtesy (not free... I wish) of Digital Aquatics RKE. Virtually everything will be run by the RKE, but the important thing to mention is the APC, or Advance Pump Control module. This is designed for the Tunze line, and will be running the wave box, as well as the 6105's giving a well designed, and all encompassing dynamic flow through the tank.

I will continue on with my SPS addiction as the dominant force in this tank as well. On top of that, there will be the Zoa fillers, a small handfull of LPS, and, of course, the clams!! Hopefully my luck with clams improves, as I had a bad streak for a while there... along with many of the rest of us!

Anyways, entry one is now complete. Wish me luck, and feel free to tag along. Any suggestions, tips, or ideas are more than welcome.

Oh, and one last thing... I want to pre-emptively thank Dez for the inspiration, and frags over the last while... thanks for creating and fueling my addiction buddy!! I also want to thank Steve at Red Coral in Edmonton. Fantastic stock, prices and service! Thanks man!

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924

Last edited by doch; 02-02-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 PM

As I lay in bed last night thinking (read: obsessing) about this build I had an epiphany. I bought 2 used Tunze waveboxes, and could not decide if I wanted to use both, (facing each other, one on either side), or just use one (and have a backup). I asked for opinions, and decided to use just the one. Now... since this tank is going to be viewable on 3 sides, I didn't like the idea of having the external waveboxes taking up viewing space on the side, but until last night, I could not think of a good way around it. Suddenly... it dawns on me. Why not use both boxes, put the external boxes on the back side of the tank leaving 3 fully viewable sides, and have the flow coming out towards the front, and then sucked back in towards the back? Done! Problems solved! Soon, I will be doing up drawings, and see if I can figure out how to post them here.

One question for you though... what would you use for a return pump? I don't really want to spend big dollars, but I want something of a good quality. The tank is about 160 gallons, and will be in the basement, with an average sized stand... so I'll need a pump for good flow at about 5 feet of head pressure.

I'm sure I've missed other details, but this will be ongoing... keep watching!

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 AM

Well, not much of an update, but here's a little one. After much planning, thought and well... way too much money, I now have my tank which is fully cured and ready for water. On top of that, I have all of my equipment except for my tunze 6105's which are unfortunately on back order, and my APC which the suppliers don't have yet. Apparently I`ll be using my koralias and the waveboxes for flow for now. Oh... and I'm missing one fiji purple bulb due to my jerk dog and his 106lb foot. Thankfully it was only one.
I also have this week off... and all (I hope) of my plumbing except for the means to tie my RO system into my house plumbing. I'll pick that up tomorrow when I go to grab all of the wood for the stand.

Oh... one more thing. I also ordered up two more tanks. (not received yet though) A 40x18x18 frag tank, and a 24x18x18 water change tank. My existing 55 will be used as a sump, on top of that will be the frag tank, and on top of that will be the water change tank. Flow will all come from my new Sedra 2000a pump. It will be tee`d off to 2 3/4" lines... one to the display, and the other going up to the water change tank. From the water change tank, water will over flow to the frag tank, then down to the sump. For a water change, I will close a valve to the water change tank, and open a valve to the frag tank, isolating the water change tank. Then a drain valve from the water change tank will be opened and will drain to the floor drain. From there, fill the tank with RO water, put salt in, turn on a Koralia and a heater, and walk away... wait for a while and revearse the valves. Done. For the record, I fully admit that I stole this idea from Dez... Thanks buddy!! I will likely also use this tank as a quarantine tank when need be.

Anyways, wish me luck. Thinking time is over... GAME ON!

I`ll post some pics over the next few days. The tank is a beauty!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Looks like a great start to what should be a kick arse tank..... Have you looked at the reeflo line of pumps? They are not overly expensive, seem to be a good quality and definitely have the push to get you up from the basement
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Johnny,

I wouldn't have the water change tank drain into the frag tank (this will cause bubbles and salt creep). Tee off the pump and feed the frag tank separately. Hope this helps. And I've already showed you how to post pics, so get on it stat!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Looks like a great start to what should be a kick arse tank..... Have you looked at the reeflo line of pumps? They are not overly expensive, seem to be a good quality and definitely have the push to get you up from the basement
Negative. I actually went with a Sedra. I was originally thinking I'd use the 3 pumps that I already have, but changed my mind when I found a good deal on a 2000a which should run all of the tanks.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Johnny,

I wouldn't have the water change tank drain into the frag tank (this will cause bubbles and salt creep). Tee off the pump and feed the frag tank separately. Hope this helps. And I've already showed you how to post pics, so get on it stat!
Yeah, yeah... give me some time to make a little progress worth taking pics and I'm on it! lol

I'm confused. Why would the WC tank draining into the frag tank cause this? I was just going to use a pipe stand overflow plumbed directly into the frag tank. Maybe I'm missing something... but I don't see the issue. Please enlighten me.

BTW... sorry I didn't call yesterday. V wasn't feeling well, and as is I made her run around town until 4 with me getting parts.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 PM

Drains always have bubbles, unless you have your WC tank outfitted with a Herbie. Bubbles will rise and splash, causing salt creep. Does this make any sense? I think you'll be happier with a separate feed and overflow.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Ok... but wouldn't I end up with the same problem in the sump... x2? That said... the level in the sump is lower... which is probably where you're going with this.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 PM

Sumps are designed with baffles etc so that bubbles don't end up back in your display tank. Think of your frag tank as a display tank - you probably don't want to see bubbles while inspecting or viewing your frags. That's where probably most of the salt creep in a tank happens - in a sump. A lot of people have covers over the drain area of the sump to try and reduce this. The use of filter socks helps (I don't use em). But if your think of your frag tank as a secondary display tank, you probably don't want to see bubbles. It will work the way you have it planned, but I'm just giving you an option that I would go for if I had the choice.