Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default RO/DI System Recommendation

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if there is much if any of a difference in between the RO systems available. I'm in the market for a new one, and would like the best possible. Ideally, a sytem that doesn't waste very much water... and doesn't have built in TDS meters as I just ordered one. Oh... and I need to be able to tee off before the DI stage so we can make our own drinking water.

Thanks

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 10-07-2011, 01:36 PM

molotov is on a distinguished road
Default Rodi

Hey Doch,

I just purchased this system for my home.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...er-system.html

I also purchased this add-on piece so I don't waste as much water.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...er-system.html

the pressure guage is also a good idea. it will give you an indication as to when you need to replace your filters.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...1-100-psi.html

The best thing about buying from these guys was the fact that they put it all together for me (attached all the pieces). All I had to do was hook up the water supply line and the drain line.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 PM

philg3 is on a distinguished road

I was looking at the same model but have never ordered from BRS before, how was the Shipping/Duty charges and how happy have you been with it so far?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:40 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

I have 150gpd Aqua FX for couple years and then i bought the 100gpd Vertex from Concept Aquarium here in Calgary, The vertex also comes with auto flushing kit,tds meter and pressure pump. It produces water much faster than my Aqua FX (probably because of pressure pump), and the auto flushing also help my membrane last longer. Totally recommend it
Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

all are pretty much the same and very generic. stay away from calgon ro systems, they are a different design and you have to use there filters.

the ones we use are standard 10X3 filters and down filmtec membrains, the difference between companies come in the accesories they offer, the stickers or paint they put on it or the claims they make.

stay away from anyone claiming to not have any waist.. a dow filmtec membrain is designed to have a reject rate of 4 to 1, so for every gal of good water made you are rejecting 4 gal of water. this ensures the surface of the membrain is properly flushed and kept free of buildup. you can reduce this to 2 to 1 as I used to but then back flushing becomes very important and required more often and for longer periods to flush the membrain. failure to keep the membrain "clean" results in a lower life span.

I would recomend looking for the cheepest set up you can find that has at least three canisters and one RO housing, and a PSI guage (not that important as the companies use garbage ones anyways.. and a backflushing atachment. (although all a back flushing atachment is is a bypass for the flow restrictor so it realy isn't a back flushing per say but a removal of the restriction which allows full flow accross the face of the membrain)

you also want to make sure they advertise they use dow filmtec membrains and not rebranded garbage.. if they say they use there own membrain shop somewhere else.

for sizing you want to figure out you average usage per day and multiply it by 4. I go even bigger but remember they are rated under ideal conditions in a 24 hour period so a 25 gpd membrain will take 5 hours to make 5 gal (aprox) where a 100 gps will make 5 gal in little over and hour. so as a min I would recomend a 100gpd.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:29 AM

chewie is on a distinguished road

Steve....almost had to buy a new computer monitor as I hit the screen hard trying to squish that bug.....lol....nice
Old 10-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie View Post
Steve....almost had to buy a new computer monitor as I hit the screen hard trying to squish that bug.....lol....nice
nobody has tried that and admidted it for over two years now

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 10-09-2011, 03:44 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I'd consider looking at something with a 75 gpd membrane. Production may be a little slower than 100 gpd, but the rejection rate is generally better, so if you plan to add DI stage, that will more than likely last longer. This all depends on your incoming TDS though. RO membrane & DI media are the more expensive components of a water purification system, so you want to maximize the quality there.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I'd consider looking at something with a 75 gpd membrane. Production may be a little slower than 100 gpd, but the rejection rate is generally better, so if you plan to add DI stage, that will more than likely last longer. This all depends on your incoming TDS though. RO membrane & DI media are the more expensive components of a water purification system, so you want to maximize the quality there.
thats true, but I bet if you read the membrain part number from a 100 gpd it will be a 75 membrain. a dow 75 is 75 gpd at 55 PSI.. at 90 PSI, at 65 PSI it is a 100gpd , at 75 its a 120gpd , at 95 its a 150gpd

max PSI is 150 on a DOW 75. so ya you want to make sure you have a real dow 75. what a lot of compaines used to do and I imagin there is a good chance they still do is relable 25's as 50's 50's as 75's or 100's ect...

Steve