Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Coleus's 155 bowfront tank. HRV installed and new mixing station

Ok, where should i start? Just want to make a thread to share some of my frustration and happiness of this very stressful saltwater hobby. I want to post something here so maybe someday i can look back and see how much sweat and tear that I have experienced in this hobby.

BE WARNED: that all picts won't be as nice because i suck at taking photo and don't have a good lens. That explains why Kien had to come over and took my babies pictures lol.

Ok, let's start. I started with 92 gallon bowfront with cichlids for couple years. They were very easy to look after. Water change happened once a month. Good old time!

Near Xmas 2008 , after re-watching Finding Nemo with my niece, I figured i should start a salt water. So went to one of the big chain LFS and bought myself a 45 bowfront tank (just a big fan of bow front tank) with Coralife PC light, rena xp, etcc because at that time I did not do any research and just listened to whatever person worked there told me. Bought live rocks and some "magic" chemical to help the water cycle faster. Got myself right 2 nemos right away :-). At that time, I thought to myself "wow salt water is not that expensive".

Then started to add some coral and fish starting 2009

and then more live rock, the more the better right?

I was pretty happy with 2 nemos, one dory, and urchin, two shrimps and some lps back then because babies were on the way I did not want to over killed my bank account.

Then my saltwater hobby took to another turn when my co-worker told me to visit CANREEF.

OMFG, since the day i joined, i started stocking more corals and fishes until i ran out of space and then The Unpreventable thing happened: TIME TO UPGRADE (does it sound familiar to anyone?)

Found a used 155 bowfront tank, and here it started

Fast forward to Oct 2009

Then decided to remove the sand

And then disaster happened when i overdosed my vodka, most of my coral died or brow out.

Then babies came and got no time for tank so sold most of my corals and left with fishes and some easy LPS. Add couple coral/fish here and there.

And now full again

Feeding time

And some other shots on my suppose QT tank

Here is my last fish i added 5 months ago and turn out he is a vegetarian.

Hopefully, in couple months i will able to compare with new pictures to see the growth of my tank

Last edited by Coleus; 07-26-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Well it's about time Tai, still really love those Duncans dude. I have seen your tank at it best and worst but it always looks great.

Ps your photos are really good as far as I am concerned, not all of us are pros at it especially me.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 AM

Raven34 is on a distinguished road

Wow a rock beauty! He looks nice and healthy. How's that? any tips?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven34 View Post
Wow a rock beauty! He looks nice and healthy. How's that? any tips?
he was very healthy when i picked him up and i really don't do anything special.

I give him food with selcon once a week and Ocean Nutrient pellets every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Well it's about time Tai, still really love those Duncans dude. I have seen your tank at it best and worst but it always looks great.

Ps your photos are really good as far as I am concerned, not all of us are pros at it especially me.
Thanks Greg
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 PM

chris88 is on a distinguished road

how much vodka did you put in to overdose?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

For someone who sells enough equipment to start 10 reef tanks it's nice to see your pride and joy finally =) Looks nice and your photos got better too. What did you notice (good or bad) after you removed your sandbed?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris88 View Post
Can't remmember but after 2 weeks of vodka dosing, my lps started dying so i stopped and things were back to normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
For someone who sells enough equipment to start 10 reef tanks it's nice to see your pride and joy finally =) Looks nice and your photos got better too. What did you notice (good or bad) after you removed your sandbed?
I prefer bare bottom because it is much easier to clean and suck out the debris. Also, if my coral got knock over and sink to the bottom, it won't likely die by the time i come to rescue. Also over time, the sand started to look dirty and as i read you need to replace every 4-5 years which I found too much work. However, i still have a DSB in my refugium
Old 03-23-2011, 03:31 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Digging the gorgonian. How long have you had it and what are you feeding it?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris88 View Post
Can't remmember but after 2 weeks of vodka dosing, my lps started dying so i stopped and things were back to normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I prefer bare bottom because it is much easier to clean and suck out the debris. Also, if my coral got knock over and sink to the bottom, it won't likely die by the time i come to rescue. Also over time, the sand started to look dirty and as i read you need to replace every 4-5 years which I found too much work. However, i still have a DSB in my refugium
Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Digging the gorgonian. How long have you had it and what are you feeding it?
I have 4 gorgonians, the brown one i got it last summer i think and it is very slow growing. The purple one just recently got it from JL with Kien. The blue one and red one i got from gold couple weeks ago. I tried to target feed them with reef roids.