Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 PM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default Chemistry help please

OK, so my KH is reading about 140 ppm (2.8 meg/L, 7.84 dKH). Recommendation is between 125 and 200.

Calcium I'm reading about 390-400. Recommendation is between 380-450ppm.

Should I be happy with these readings, or will my corals benifit from jacking these numbers up to the higher end of the scale?

Just like everybody else out there, I'm looking for ideal growth and colour... any tips are appreciated.

Thanks folks!

PS Phosphates are between .5 and 1 (I'd guess about .75), VERY low nitrates (almost 0) PH at about 8.2ish. Didn't bother with Amonia or Nitrate... they have been next to zero for a while now... haven't started testing Magnesium yet... coming soon.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 04-11-2010, 09:48 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

its better to have a balance then to have high numbers and nsw water is like dkh of 7.5 and ca 400 ish i think so ur bang on there u will get better colours from a lower kh reading of around 7 i have found with zeo but ull see more of a benefit from ur potassium and magnesium readings with sps

360 Reef Tank
Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I would be happy with those numbers. It all depends on how much farting around you want to do to get them higher. Personally I aim for about 7-8dkH alkalinity and about 400-425ppm for calcium.

As bluetang says you may benefit more from your potassium and magnesium readings. I know I always keep my mg at 1350ppm and when I boosted my potassium to the proper levels I was seeing some pretty awesome colors.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:22 AM

doch is on a distinguished road

Sounds good to me!! Now I'll have to get on those other two. Thanks!

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924