Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Default Christy's 180 build

FINALLY!

So I've had this tank for almost a year now, drove out to Red Deer to get it last December, then put it in storage for awhile, then moved it to the new house where its been sitting on the floor. I've also collected a few other tanks for sump and such, along the way all hanging out in the basement. Its pretty busy down there. Finally today my husband decided it was time to get started (plus I mentioned that I was thinking about asking my Dad to come over and help me do it, nothing spurs a guy on like telling them you'll get your Dad to do it ).

So heres where the tank will be going, its going to be in wall with the display part here:

And the backside of that wall, yup its loadbearing and I'm seeing this is likely going to slow us down as my husband, Matt, is rather leery of approaching this part:

A strategically placed shelf hid the fact that two of the posts were almost cut cleanly through, lucky they had the idea to just slap on a piece of wood to help out

It was just wood paneling so it came off pretty easy except for one chunk and the heating ducts were removed. Its amazing how poorly some work is done in houses. Some parts were screwed together, some not. And no duct tape was used (Mike Holmes would be appalled! ).

After that it was fun times with electrical so being massively electrically uninclined, I tackled the tank. It had a painted on background that I've decided I don't want. I'd rather see through the tank and then I can affix a removable background so I can see in the tank when I'm working on it from the back as well as the front.

Tank before:

Tank after:

Thats a lot of paint!

Then everything came to a grinding halt as the F word was muttered repeatedly and progressively louder. Turns out it was the result of this:

As you can see, it clearly doesn't fit the box. Well duh, anyone could see that before you hooked all the wires to it. I think we'll blame that on Matt coming down with a cold.

Anyhoo, I'm pleased that we got this far. Progress!!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

I can't believe that you have waited this long to get started.

Oh well I guess there is more to life than our Aquariums.

Good luck

I will be following along so keep us up to date.

Tom R
Old 11-07-2009, 10:49 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

one step at a time. The plan is looking good. How big of a header will you be installing?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Mmm, demolition. Best part of a reno project!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
I can't believe that you have waited this long to get started.

Oh well I guess there is more to life than our Aquariums.

Good luck

I will be following along so keep us up to date.

Tom R
Me neither!! Although when it came to light that it was a load bearing wall, it wasn't like I could just go at it with the sledgehammer like I had hoped to do. Otherwise this would have been done long ago

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
one step at a time. The plan is looking good. How big of a header will you be installing?
I have no idea. I know what you're talking about but yeah, thats about it. Um a big one?

My 180 Build

Old 11-07-2009, 10:59 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

YAHHHH Finally. Looks like a great start

J
Old 11-07-2009, 11:04 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

WHOOOOO!!!!... I can't wait to have my own place where I can tear out walls for a tanks...

Look forward to following this build.. Do you have an estimated time of "completion"... aka saltwater/cycle?

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 11-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
WHOOOOO!!!!... I can't wait to have my own place where I can tear out walls for a tanks...

Look forward to following this build.. Do you have an estimated time of "completion"... aka saltwater/cycle?
Yes I do, it was September 2009

Frankly I think I'll be lucky if I have it up on a stand by December but you never know. We're redoing our kitchen (ordered from Ikea) and as soon as that gets here I think it likely takes priority.

As soon as I can get that hole in the wall I'm good to go, I can build the stand myself and have some people over for a tank lifting party. Its basically just been that damn hole in the wall that has been holding everything up so far.

My 180 Build

Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

lets go young lady you have some nerve just posting that now. but you may beat some one else who has a bigger one