Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 PM

muck is on a distinguished road
Default Camping in the Kootenays

We will be camping for a week this summer at Kokanee Creek Prov Park and it will be the first time for us in the area. I am looking for information on other campgrounds (for future holidays) as well as places and things we need to do/see. Any information is welcome.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

The hike up around Kokanee glacier is spectacular. There are lots of little lakes and rolling meadows as well as the glaciers. Very cool.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

+1 on that hike, spectacular views!

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

We've camped at Kokannee Creek before and two real close attractions are the Cody Caves and Ainsworth Hot Springs. The caves are up at the top of a ridge near Ainsworth Hot Springs and are very accessable - even for little kids.

Ainsworth Hot Springs is worth going to because it doesn't smell of sulphur like a lot of Hot springs. It also has a cold water plunge pool that is very refreshing and a cave (old mine shaft) that loops around and has water splashing down out of cracks in the ceiling.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:19 AM

robzilla is on a distinguished road

lots to do up that part of the lake. more camping to be found on the arrow lake near castlegar, syringa provincial park. water is warmer than kootenay lake. or a short drive over to the slocan lake thru kaslo. try to make plans to go to idaho peak and sandon. there's another member on here, chris, who almost goes camping every weekend, with his family. he can direct you to lots of great spots, depending on what you're looking to do.
if you're after more info, let me know as i work in nelson and could get a list of stuff for you based on what you like to do.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:24 AM

hockey nut is on a distinguished road

If you want to kill a couple of hours on a hot day you could also take the Kootney ferry from Balfour across the main lake for some ice cream / lunch browse small local shops etc and then take the ferry back. There is no cost for the ferry, Balfour is about 8-10 minutes from where you are I believe.

Also the Eagle View restaurant in Balfour has good food and a great view. A little $$ but not too bad.

Also in Kaslo there is an old paddle wheel boat ( The SS Moyia ) that used to steam up and down the Kootneys many years ago that has been restored for visitors to see. It's a small attraction but if you're in the area it's worth a look.

hth

Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:57 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

If you are looking to travel around locally, try checking out the artisans at Crawford bay, across the ferry from where you'll be camping. It makes a good day trip and is very cool to see the "old trades" in action.

There are many website to fill you in on the adventures around here though, here's one to get you started. Oh, but don't plan on any visits to LFS, there aren't really any around here.
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure...ays/index.html

Any chance of you bringing some frags down here from Edmonton?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-22-2009, 02:02 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

What kind of campsite are you looking for? ie provincial, private, forestry?
also depends on what your camping in as to what sites are good for larger units.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the responses so far guys..

Chris,
We have a 24' trailer with truck. Would like a nice lake/beach (good for young ankle-biters), showers and flush toilets would be a nice bonus too. Provincial or private don't really matter.

Also debating if I should pickup a weekly fishing license for BC and bring my fly rod. Im not a crazy fisher nut but enjoy getting my line wet.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
Would like a nice lake/beach (good for young ankle-biters),
Unless something has changed, you're not going to find that up in that neck of the woods. We went up their one summer with a 2-year old. Ended up heading back out as soon as possible to a more southern BC location with nice warm lake/beach.