Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 AM

Blom is on a distinguished road
Default Current 28G NanoCube / Distant 180G Tank Build

Hello fellow Canreefers,

Some of you may remember me from a couple of years ago, I started a 90G build only to see it come to a crashing halt shortly after I was ready to start adding livestock. I had to relocate for school and didn't have the space or time for a tank. Or so I though, hindsight is always 20/20. I could have easily moved and continued on my 90G tank. But it was not to be. Well two years later here I am posting on the Tank Journal forum... but why? Well I'm sure the udder boredom from being out in the sticks at work might have something to do with it. Or maybe its just my undashed enthusiasm for the hobby. Could it be the 180G tank I am picking up here in the coming weeks. I'm sure its a mixture of all the aforementioned.

There is a catch to this, there always is... I have yet 8 more months of school after this semester. 8 long more life sucking months and than I can call myself and Engineer. Was it worth the 40 some thousands of dollars, time I guess will tell. If nothing else it has given me a lot of ideas for a tank build, so I guess it paid off. The other final catch is that there is no way I can set this tank up in my current apartment. So we are a ways off from seeing this thing with water. But that doesn't mean we all cant have fun designing it. Ok Ok... i really just want to pick your brains for the next bit as I piece this tank together.

Vision: I am looking to put this tank in the main floor portion of my new yet to be purchased house next year. The choice of house will be seriously effected by how I vision the setup. I am looking to have an in wall setup dividing the Living area with my office. viewable on both sides. The fish room will be housed in the basement, and will be a decent size. It will need to be as I plan on running 1 or 2 more tanks, a larger FOWLR in the basement... approx 400G. And a smaller Sea horse tank to appease the whiffle (as if I don't want it too). All three of these tanks must be run from one fish room as I seriously doubt I will be allowed to turn our house into Sea World. But for the time being this thread will stick to the one tank.

I really wasn't planning on purchasing a tank this far ahead of the move, but when a deal pops up one must snatch it up. I have been glancing at the buy/sell section on canreef for a while now, just to see what I see. Well I found what I was looking for: 180G, 84" L x 24" D x 19" H... thats 7 beautiful feet of critters and corals.

Look at how I've rambled on already... as I said I'm up in the sticks working with an apparent abundance of free time. Not really... So I will get to the first question, the do's and dont's of storing a tank. This is your guys turn... lol

On a side note I am fairly proficient in the Autodesk software so over the next few sets of days off I will be putting together a virtual rendering of what I'm thinking of, and then you can all pick it apart. Seriously... DO pick it apart.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank

Last edited by Blom; 07-29-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 AM

I know you guys like pictures so here is one of the tank I am purchasing. The gentleman before me had a very nice tank. I hope to continue down that path.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 05-30-2011, 03:14 AM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

nice tank. but where is any of the filtration system?
Old 05-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

When you've got a pic of The Last Supper on the canopy maybe you don't need all the equipment =)

Last edited by lastlight; 05-30-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

This sounds almost exactly like my set up right now. You can browse through the TOTM article for ideas.

http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/dec10/
Old 05-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
nice tank. but where is any of the filtration system?
Not pictured here, he had it run from a seperate room. The sump is 6ft x 12" D x 24" H I believe.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 05-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
This sounds almost exactly like my set up right now. You can browse through the TOTM article for ideas.

http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/dec10/

Sounds good I will take a look.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM

DisneyCoralReef is on a distinguished road

That build in the wall tank is sick! dang! Never seen a tank this nice!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 PM

Dez that tank is nothing short of spectacular, and I'm pretty jealous of your fish room as well. That is pretty much the direction I want to go in. I will have to stay in touch for tips if you don't mind.

I pick up the tank, sump, lights, and some other goodies tomorrow. To be honest Im not positive in all the things included in the purchase yet. Once I get everything home and cleaned up ill take some pictures. Again this was not well thought out because I am going to have to stare at all my new goodies without being able to set them up. There is just really no way I can have that kind of weight on the second floor of a wood built apt building. Not to mention I don't have the room. But this gives me plenty of time to acquire needed parts and equipment over time which = not a large shock to the bank account.

I am hoping someone on here has experience with my next question. I would like to automate a lot of tasks on this tank. The all in one reef controllers are nice, but I would like the ability to program my own code so I am not limited in options. I plan on building my own PLC system and was wondering if anyone has gone this route and could offer up some suggestions on controllers and input devices. Mainly input devices....

Ive already got my eye on an Allen-Bradley control unit and HMI as I can snag these from work as nearly no cost. I'm looking at efector probes for both temp and level and peristaltic pumps form omega for dosing. Although I haven't looked into it much I am concerned about finding probes for ph, ORP and salinity. Any Ideas?

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 06-02-2011, 03:54 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

PLC controller sounds a little overkill - even at cost its still going to be loads more expensive than a fully kitted Neptune system. There is nothing you cant do with a Neptune kit AND it has a PC and NET based interface so you dont have to program or build your own.

If you are still going to go with the PLC I believe BeanAnimal uses one to control his reef -should be more info on ReefCentral.

IMO - save your pennies for other gear that you will need with the tank. You can pick up Bulk Reef Supply two part dosing pumps for $90 a pop and they are VERY well built and easy to maintain.