Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default Aquarium Bar build

Well, I'm at it again. Since I haven't had any luck finding the tank I want within my budget I'm going to work with my existing 60 gallon cube. It's dimensions are 25x25x22". I've decided that I'm going to build a stand for it that doubles as a bar for my downstairs family room. For the past half a year it's been hidden away in my laundry room so that my kids can't get at it easily. Now I've had enough, and its time to bring it out into the open. Here's a shot of where it is right now.

55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 AM

Default step 1

First I had to rip up the carpet in the area where the bar will go. The carpet is pretty ugly so I'm glad to be rid of at least some of it. I painted the concrete floor just for looks, until I can afford to lay down hardwood in the entire house. I figure it will be better for the splashes that happen from time to time.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 AM

Default step 2

Here is the first part of the framing that will eventually become the bar.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 AM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

I see you already have the washroom set up

Cheers,
Vic
Old 08-13-2009, 03:51 AM

Default reply

Haha, TIME!!!! It only took 3 minutes before someone commented on the potty. Don't worry, I'll move it before I move the tank. Like I said, concrete is better for the splashes.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:40 AM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

So what are the plans for how the bar / stand are going to look?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Tagging along. Building an in-wall tank behind a bar is my dream for when I buy a house... somewhere in the near future I hope. In the meantime I'm getting by with my 'meth lab' reef sprawled out around the basement. lol

I thought it was just standard to have a toilet in ones fish room? (lower right corner)

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 08-13-2009, 03:45 PM

rstar is on a distinguished road

I dont think i could use the toilet there, i would be too disrtracted with tinckering with all the stuff in my fish room!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Default reply

I only have an idea about how I want it to look in the end. It miight end up part contemperary, part disco, part old English, part..... I do want to tile the bar top, and have some sort of raised paneling on the sides. Thats all I really know at this point. I was debating an in wall tank originally, but the tank is too small to justify it IMO. Plus, if I went in wall, I'd have to deal with re-doing the laundry room. Which is littered with the previous home owners shelving and other contructs. It really would be too much work.

Incidentally the nearest real toilet to the tank is through the laundry room, where I have fish magazines for reading material. Not quite as good as having a toilet right there, haha!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstar View Post
I dont think i could use the toilet there, i would be too disrtracted with tinckering with all the stuff in my fish room!
Nobody's saying you can't still tinker while you're on there!