Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-27-2006, 03:39 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road
Default Phosphate Reactors.

I want to add a phosphate reactor to my tank... yes, it's a small tank it may look silly, but whatever.. that doesn't bother me.I understand they can be ran HOB , so that's good.

Just want to know how effective they are?? Moreso than running some phosphate remover through a filter? I still haven't quite understood the whole concept of a reactor.. but would like to.

I have been thinking of removing my sandbed, and upgrading, and I've come to the final conclusion that it's just not happening, or at least not anytime soon .. so I'll learn to accept that haha. Adding a phosphate reactor sounds nice.. I do have bits of unwanted algae, and with that sandbed.. the nutrients are buidling up.

If someone would care to enlighten me on how they work, and if this would be something worth adding then feel free to post.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

demon666 is on a distinguished road

i too am interested in adding one to my system so any info would be great
Old 10-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21978

The phosphate reactors I've seen are basically just an upweller system whereby water is forced through a small column in the middle of a larger tube and expelled through the bottom into the main tube which contains the phosphate remover and then flows upwards through the media and out the top. IMO they're much more efficient than placing a bag of phosphate remover in a high flow area as greater flow reaches more surface area of the phosphate remover. Seems that way to me anyways, I've had more success with the reactor than just putting a bag of it in my sump. It kicks ass for carbon as well.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:49 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

Reactors for phosphate removal are fluidized reactors, just like fluidized bed sand filters.
Fluidisation will greatly increase the life and effectiveness of phosphate media (eg. Rowaphos) as it allows a larger surface area for reaction with the water and prevents channels from forming through the media.
They also work great for carbon.
Water is fed in to the reactor with a small pump or fed off return pump and adjusted so the media is suspended but not so much that it is returning to the aquarium.
They are unlike most calcium reactors where the media isn't moving in the chamber and water percolates up through it.
When the output water no longer measures lower in phosphate than the tank water it's time to replace the media.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
I have been thinking of removing my sandbed, and upgrading,
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 10-27-2006, 06:11 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP
and I've come to the final conclusion that it's just not happening, or at least not anytime soon.

Last edited by OCDP; 10-27-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:20 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road

I have used a reactor now for about a year. Very good investment. the flow through the chamber is very slow. Thats the key!!! I have never had any algae other than the typical film on the glass every couple days nothing my MagFloat cant simply wipe away. My sandbed is clean and Never seen HA in my tank. They are cheap to buy and media lasts 3 months if the flow is set right. Meaning a 22 dollar container will last you 6 months and the reactors are only around 50 bucks, Sound worth it to you? Buy one. OA has em!!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:31 PM

Palster is on a distinguished road

I just installed one on a 90 gallon tank and was able to bring my Phosphates down from about 1 ppm to about 0.03 ppm in less than a week (I didn't test the water every day). You can actually see the Hair Algae dying off on the live rock now. Overall I am very pleased with the results however I have read that they can have adverse effects on some corals. Now if I can only get my Nitrate levels down a little bit more.

Last edited by Palster; 10-27-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:40 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
I have read that they can have adverse effects on some corals.
I don't have the information to back this up anymore but I heard a reason for this a couple of years ago.

Some PO4 media use various elelments as a base which aren't good for marine aquariums. I read that some use a Mg base which can throw your other levels off, while others use various heavy metals that would only be suitable for freash water use. Sorry I can't back up this claim at this time, just offering a plausable explaination.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 10-27-2006, 07:16 PM

Palster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
I don't have the information to back this up anymore but I heard a reason for this a couple of years ago.
If you click on the link that Christy has posted above in this thread there is some good information on some of the side effects of using a Phosphate binding media. For me the benefits have far outweighed the risks.