Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

When you say that your sols are at 90%..... is that the whites and the blues? cuz the ones on the display at work are like 18 inches off the tank and I still have the whites at 70% and the blues at 100% and everything is doing great! crazy growth and color.... well as you have seen....

Steve
Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

if its coral specific say all your sps and not your lps then i would lean towards the angel as well if its not chem.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoralEdmonton View Post
When you say that your sols are at 90%..... is that the whites and the blues? cuz the ones on the display at work are like 18 inches off the tank and I still have the whites at 70% and the blues at 100% and everything is doing great! crazy growth and color.... well as you have seen....

Steve
I've got the whites at 90%, and each of the blues at 85%. The bottom of the fixtures are 15" above the water. I started to notice these issues while the lights were at low intensity... I've been hoping that there wasn't enough light and once they ramped up these problems would go away. No such luck. I should also mention that I got the angel at around the same time as the lights... so that doesn't really help for troubleshooting.

I had mentioned earlier... they are dying via STN and some have burnt /damaged tips. It's really frustrating to have the frags doing/looking so good, and the important stuff (display) looking like crap. I've even taken a few pieces out of the display and put them into the frag tank and they look like they are healing already.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
if its coral specific say all your sps and not your lps then i would lean towards the angel as well if its not chem.
Yes, it is only the SPS. All of my zoas (except for a melted CAR frag... damnit) are looking really good. LPS... really good. Clams... better than ever. As for the chemistry, I'll have to run the test gauntlet soon, but like I had mentioned, the frag tank looks great which eliminates this as a possibility in my head. Last time I checked, all parameters were right around where I want them... Ca ~400, dKh ~7 Mg ~1250-1300 (I know, a little low) PO4 0.01-0.05, no measurable nitrates, nitrites or amonia. I'm running GFO, and Carbon 24/7... and full Zeo.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If it was a chemistry issue, it would be both tanks. Your numbers look fine.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

When I switched to LEDs I pretty much wiped out all my SPS (STN). I think the switch into LEDs is stressful on corals no matter what, even if you start low and ramp up, but how the coral ultimately adjusts depends on the other key ingredients to healthy SPS such as water chem, flow and stability. I started at a low percentage as well but my perimeters were not perfect and although things were doing fine before the LEDs that extra stress pushed them over the edge. All my LPS, clams, zoos, ect. on the other hand handled the transition just fine, a few lost some color but overall still seem healthy and many better than ever.

I think those who had success transitioning to LEDs probably had everything else nailed down pretty well first.

Last edited by sphelps; 01-16-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
If it was a chemistry issue, it would be both tanks. Your numbers look fine.

agreed chem is fine, since its only sps and its on the tips, and the same frags are doing fine in the FT ....hate to say but you got a angel with a taste hehepp
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 PM

shootingstar is on a distinguished road

I am running the Sol Blues and like most ramped them up over time.
But I only made adjustments (either 5% or add 30 min to a cycle) every 7 to 10 day increments. Perhaps the 2-3 day period was just a little too fast for them to adjust.

Even now at 5 months in I am not over 80% and that peak setting probably only for about 3 hours per day.

I'm at 12" above so far as well.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Are you running ULNS?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 PM

Yes, full Zeovit.