Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 PM

anemononimous is on a distinguished road

+1 Runaway bay jamaica...AWESOME facility and location for it. Dive Master at the Gran Principe is top notch
Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Came back a little while ago from the Philippines. Holiday was for more than diving but getting the OW certificate there, then going out was a big part of the planning. On advice partly from Canreef, did the course and pool here, then just the open water over there, from doing it would recommand the same.

Started at Nogas Island and though accommodations was only a Nipa Hut was as a concept one of the best stays during the whole trip.

Traveled up to El Nido for island hopping (and diving) after passing through Sabang Beach and the Underground River, whole area amazing.

To Boracay Island to liven things up, another dive this time with the kid then Panglao Island. Just one dive at Panglao but fantastic, started as a wall then gradually got shallow and finished in front of the dive shop.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 AM

doch is on a distinguished road

Wow... lots of options. As much as I'm sure we'd love Thailand, it's not in the cards... neither is anywhere far east. We've just sold or house, and will be moving shortly after the (way too short) 1 week vacation.

From what I've heard so far, I'm leaning towards Cozumel, or Runaway Bay. Are they set up for newbs? Would we need to be certified, or can they give us enough training there to get us by for a day or maybe two of dives? We definetly don't have the time to spend the whole trip diving... I wouldn't mind, but the wife has stated that it's not a huge priority for her... damnit.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 03-17-2011, 02:41 AM

frizzo1983 is on a distinguished road

Iberostar does discover diving every day at 11:00am(FREE) in the pool and you can findout if you will even like diving. We talked to some people who got in the pool and panic, they thought it was somthing that they could do and could not. You might get enough training to go down to 20' but without being certified likely not but who knows, somthing might come up when you ask these questions. Great place and nice quiet trip for us. Beaches are not for walking in very rocky but you have great snorkeling right off the dock.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:29 AM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

If you are not yet certified, save yourselves some valuable vacation time and take your classroom and pool training before you go. Go to a destination with a PADI shop and do your open water dives there. For PADI, you need 4 open water dives which you can easily do in two days. For NAUI you need 6 open water dives.

I have to disagree with the comments about diving on the Mayan Riviera. The Mayan Riviera is a very long coastline with lots of great dive sites. I have dived twice in Akumal and the coral and variety of fish species was amazing! And for beginners Akumal is much better than Cozumel because the currents can be quite strong around the island. Cozumel is also more prone to winds. We were there for 6 days in 2009 and only got in 2 dives because the harbor master closed the port due to high seas from norte. We are hoping for better weather when we go back in August.

I did my advance open water in Akumal in January with Akumal Dive Adventures. We stayed in a condo 100 meters down the beach from the dive shop. The dive instructor was great as were the dive masters.
For affordability, the Mayan Riviera also wins hands down.

Check out LocoGringo for lots of good information on the Mayan Riviera.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:34 AM

If you are not certain if you want to pursue diving, I don't think I would recommend Cozumel. You only have one weeks vacation and the extra time spent getting to the island is a waste. You may be better off hitting one of the resorts in Playa del Carmen or Akumal. Depends if you want all inclusive or if you are like the the wife and I, go for a condo for less dinero and take care of yourself. When are you thinking of going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
Wow... lots of options. As much as I'm sure we'd love Thailand, it's not in the cards... neither is anywhere far east. We've just sold or house, and will be moving shortly after the (way too short) 1 week vacation.

From what I've heard so far, I'm leaning towards Cozumel, or Runaway Bay. Are they set up for newbs? Would we need to be certified, or can they give us enough training there to get us by for a day or maybe two of dives? We definetly don't have the time to spend the whole trip diving... I wouldn't mind, but the wife has stated that it's not a huge priority for her... damnit.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 AM

One other thing about Cozumel as opposed to the mainland Riviera, there really are not any good snorkelling sites on the Cozumel beaches. On the other hand, Akumal is excellent. We prefer Half Moon Bay where Akumal Dive Adventures is located.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with the current comment with cozumel, it can be VERY strong. One of the dives we did was a drift dive

Also as said before, the pool tells all. You need to be able to retrieve your regulator and clear your mask (and after full removal) without panicking. This is a problem for alot of people.

And for a week, Mayan is a great location. Sounds like the discovering scuba course best fits your situation with 2 dives. First day is a quick video, than the pool (only takes 2 hours) than the next day you can do a morning and afternoon dive.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

Thanks again for the tips guys. Anyone know anything about Akumel? That's where my wife is wanting to go. I did a little research on it, and it sounds pretty good... any experience?

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 PM

axe_man16 is on a distinguished road

We stayed at Gran Bahia Prinipe just south of Akumal. About 5 min Collectivo ride to Akumal. The resort is very nice, and the snorkling at Akumal is great. Turtles, rays and lots of different types of fish and corals to be seen.