Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default SCUBA!!

We're booking our honeymoon in the next couple of day, and want to go somewhere that we can do some really nice reef scuba... any suggestions? We're thinking the Mayan Riviera...

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Diving isn't that good in the Mayan except for maybe Cosmel, I would consider Cuba, Jamaica or La Romana in Dominican for similar priced Caribbean vacations. Cuba was really good as you see some stuff there you won't see other places in the Caribbean and you'll have a lot of freedom with where you want to go and whatnot but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're pretty experienced as the dive masters will not look after you like they do other places and the equipment isn't ideal, I remember having a few leaks and running out of air but that never bothered me that much. Make sure you go somewhere with a dive shop on site, my best diving experience in the Caribbean so far was at the Dreams in La Romana.

Last edited by sphelps; 03-16-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I should also mention that we are both first time divers. We need somewhere that we can learn to dive, and hopefully get certified. Also, we are shooting for early april if that makes a difference.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
Thanks for the reply. I should also mention that we are both first time divers. We need somewhere that we can learn to dive, and hopefully get certified. Also, we are shooting for early april if that makes a difference.
Avoid Cuba then as they don't have PADI dive shops. Anywhere with a PADI dive shop on site will be a good choice. The Gran Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay, Jamaica had probably the best and most professional dive shop I've ever been too. The resort is absolutely stunning as well and beach snorkeling is good too and they have good dive sites.

You could also consider taking the classes here and doing the certification dives at the resort. You can even do the classes online now (I think). This way you won't waist too much vacation in a class room.

Last edited by sphelps; 03-16-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 PM

xnmuller is on a distinguished road

Cozumel is great, people sometimes liek to say you can plunge your face into a puddle on the street and see maine fish. I saw my first wild seahorses here. A little further south there are some great sites in Belize. We swam with a turtle longer than six feet for a good ten minutes (unbelizable). There is also the natural occuring Blue Hole, which isn't much for coral or fish even, but really deep open water in the middle of the reef. But by far my favorite is East Africa off the coast of Zanzibar. I have never seen more diverse coral reefs anywhere. All three of these p laces had some PADI certified shops and all we dove with were fantastic people. Also Thailand and the Andaman sea was great.

The way I see it your worst day under water is better then any day at work. Go, dive, have fun and don't worry too much about finding the best dive site. Once you go once you'll most likely o again.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

For a good place to go and get certified I'd recommend Koh Tao, Thailand (provided a storm isn't muckin' up the water). The nice thing about being in that area is that it is a) cheap and b) there's a lot of islands you can go to. In about a day, you can travel from Koh Tao to the penninsula and over to the Adaman Sea, which is killer diving. I spent over a month diving there on my last trip, so I can give you some tips on good areas.

I've never been but I have a friend who swears Indo has the best diving in the world. You can PM him (BlazingArrow) for some tips.

The place I really like in the Caribbean is Monserrat. It is the perfect place for a honeymoon (I'd call it Honeymoon Island if I could) and has some killer diving. It's a nice place because it's off the beaten path with few tourists.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

I did some dives with Stuart Cove's in Nassau, Bahamas last summer. Top notch operation and there were several classes going on while we were there. But I agree to definately get your certification done at home before you go if you can.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Just did some diving in the Mayan Rivera. Wasn't bad, still alot to see. Cozumel is a short boat ride over but it takes a whole day to go there, dive twice and than come back. Cozumel is for sure a great diving site, maybe even consider going there.

Now if your planning on getting certified down there it takes about 5 days to complete the course (with very little time to do anything else may I add) so be prepared. Another alternative is to take this course that allows you to get a couple of dives in (including the pool session) and just dive twice. This is a short course called "discovering scuba diving" but it is not a certification and you are only allowed to go 40 feet MAX.

I have done diving in mexico twice, costa rica (pacific side) and cuba. All locations were great but for sure consider thailand. Thats my next stop and from my research it should be the best so far
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 PM

shootingstar is on a distinguished road

Most dive shops that run classes also book trips so you can do your open waters right at the beginning of your trip (with the folks that taught you and you already trust)then your good to go. You also have the benefit of a full and proper training/education.

without a doubt the best spot we have dove is Roatan, check out Fantasy Island Resort, an amazing bargain compared to many more touristy destinations. Fantasy Island though is ALL about the diving, there is an amazing dive shop on site with the best maintained equipment I have seen in the tropics, fully trained amazing guides, their own fleet of boats, medical staff and a chamber on site....seriously.

But I mean it when I say it's all about the diving, there isn't much to do for tours and other tourist stuff on the island..... 3 boat dives and unlimited shore (gazebo that you jump into about 30' from) per day in your package.....every person there is there for the diving.....not extensive night life as it's "all about the diving"...hehe
Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 PM

frizzo1983 is on a distinguished road

+1 for Cozumel me and my wife did 2 weeks there and got our open water down there. We stayed at the Iberostar but dove with Martin not the Dressels cattle boats!!! smaller boats and great staff. Cozumel is great for 1st time divers because it is drift diving and lots to see. I would get your certification at home it will be cheaper. Have fun you will love diving.