Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM

szymek is on a distinguished road

I've started transitioning to this salt since end of Jan / beginning of Feb. I'm adding more and more everytime I do a water change. i'm at approx 2/3 RN and 1/3 DD. So far I don't see any improvements or any negative impact. But I need to stay.. my mixing tank is getting cleaner. Seems that this salt mixes really well and clean.

I didn't measure all the parameters. I was only concerned about dKH... so I mixed some in a small bucket and I got 9.1. But parameters in my tank did not change - which is good.

There was a thread on another forum and few fellows were complaining about this salt burning their acros. But it turned out one fellow was was using TMP and was dosing K as well. Then swtiched (Iwithout mixing two different salts) directly to RN and continued dosing K.

All in all - it looks like it's good salt to me. I bought it as they had a huge promo on this salt in our area - and I'm glad that I have. So far I haven't found any extras (but i'm still on my first bucket).
Old 03-12-2011, 05:09 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

I got a call from the owner of Royal Nature today and must say I am impressed with their customer service. Ron explained how plastic can on rare occassions get into their salt which makes perfect sense to me. First the salt is made in just 300 kilogram batches so they can maintain the highest quality, to put it in perspective this equates to about 13 buckets per batch. The chemicals are weighed and kept in plastic bags to keep the humidity out and the various bags are then dumped into the mixer manually by a worker. This is where the "shredded plastic" can come into play. Occasionally when the worker is emptying a bag of salt chemicals into the mixer he can let the bag hang a bit too low & the bag gets hit by the mixer blade and puts a few shreds of plastic into the mix. The bags are clean plastic and will cause no harm whatsoever to the salt mix but obviously doesn't look good if there is no understanding of how it happens. Has this happened before, yes---- will it happen again--- more than likely. Is the actual salt itself still the best???? Hell yeah!! If Royal Nature made salt in batches measured in tons like most other manufactures any plastic accidently introduced into the mix would be dispersed over hundreds of buckets but since their batches are so small to guarantee quality control when a bag gets shredded into the mix it's possible that pieces of it can end up in all 13 buckets. Does it hurt anything? Not a chance!

Royal Nature is a fantastic salt that mixes cleaner & faster than any other I've ever used bar none & has parameters that come the closest to natural sea water of anything else on the market. I recently read a thread on another board where someone used some Royal Nature but then complained that after dosing potasium as he normally did with RBS that the K was too high. My response to that is Isn't it better to use a salt where you don't have to spend a fortune on K balance because the salt has the proper levels already? That is a good thing in my humble opinion.

Greg
Old 03-12-2011, 05:10 AM

Wes I sent you a PM to let you know that for your inconvenience Ron from Royal Nature asked me to please supply you with a free bucket of salt. Please get in touch with me so we can make arrangements to get that to you ASAP.

Greg
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Greg

360 Reef Tank
Old 03-12-2011, 02:34 PM

reefan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great explanation Greg. Wow those are small batches they make, no wonder the salt is so consistent. I didn't think it was a case of actual "garbage" getting into their system. I agree with you - I have never found a better salt either.

Offering this customer a free bucket for a few pieces of plastic is going above & beyond. I plan to keep using Royal Nature and as you stated it mixes fast & clean with spot on parameters.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

I have only heard one one store using the word "garbage" to describe the plastic in Royal Nature salt. They seem to be causing problems for other vendors on the board.

If its good enough for Greg its good enough for me. He hasnt steered me wrong yet with any of the stuff he sold me so why would he start now. I know I will be grabbing a pail off Greg next time I am at his place and I am sure I wont be the only one.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I have only heard one one store using the word "garbage" to describe the plastic in Royal Nature salt. They seem to be causing problems for other vendors on the board.

If its good enough for Greg its good enough for me. He hasnt steered me wrong yet with any of the stuff he sold me so why would he start now. I know I will be grabbing a pail off Greg next time I am at his place and I am sure I wont be the only one.
Thanks Ryan that is a wonderful compliment, your support is always appreciated.

Greg
Old 03-13-2011, 04:30 AM

therealshark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefan View Post
Thanks for the great explanation Greg. Wow those are small batches they make, no wonder the salt is so consistent. I didn't think it was a case of actual "garbage" getting into their system. I agree with you - I have never found a better salt either.

Offering this customer a free bucket for a few pieces of plastic is going above & beyond. I plan to keep using Royal Nature and as you stated it mixes fast & clean with spot on parameters.
Thanks for your input. Customer service is very important to me & my suppliers. Ron said he would have been in touch with me earlier but he had been away and dealt with it as soon as he got back. The small batch size surprized me as well and as you stated makes for a very consistant product.

Greg
Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

So did the manufacturer explain the hair as well? That's probably the bigger issue as plastic I can understand but not hair.

Last edited by sphelps; 03-14-2011 at 06:44 PM.