Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceanic Corals

Old 10-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Gooly001 is on a distinguished road

Replied. Thanks for your inquiry.

Paul
Old 10-08-2010, 11:41 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Just for clarification to try and sort out what you are selling.

Are these corals from ORA/Tyree? If not, are these corals frags from ORA/Tyree corals?

You are advertising them with the same names as those from those two companies. There is confusion on my part as to what these corals actually are. I just need this sorted out.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:08 AM

Hi Kyle,

I'm getting a bit tired of your badgering. Obviously you are a livestock wholesaler (Coast Mountain) who is bent on trying to get me to divulge how I get my corals and from whom. As stated cordially on my PM's to you, please do a search on previous posts regarding this and if you are doubtful in any way please feel free to contact DFO. And yes Kyle, DFO looks after CITES for Environment Canada. So please stop badgering me.

Cheers,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep View Post
Just for clarification to try and sort out what you are selling.

Are these corals from ORA/Tyree? If not, are these corals frags from ORA/Tyree corals?

You are advertising them with the same names as those from those two companies. There is confusion on my part as to what these corals actually are. I just need this sorted out.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:52 AM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

This is a rather contentious issue for sure. I personally, nor professionally, do not care where you get your corals, for the most part.

The issue at hand is whether or not these corals are ORA/Tyree or frags of ORA/Tyree corals. You have been questioned time and time again by me and others yet you refuse to answer the simple question. For many that do question the authenticity of the coral, evading the question only adds to people’s suspicions.

What are these corals? If a customer were to walk into your premises and ask the same question, what would you answer?

I feel that the consumer does have a right to know what product they are purchasing. These corals are being sold with the same names as those from ORA/Tyree and that only adds to the confusion. If they are not originally from ORA/Tyree or frags from ORA/Tyree corals, say so and I’ll leave it alone. You are charging a premium for items that can be misconstrued as something that they may in fact not be.

This boils down to integrity of your store and the industry as a whole. For an industry that is predicated on removing organisms from the wild for financial gain, we as a whole need to tread very lightly. It is issues such as this, where there are questions as to the legitimacy of products, that only further tarnish the reputation of the industry as a whole. Actions of few have a great impact on the many.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:04 AM

Hey you know what Kyle, your points have been brought up before and do a search and you will find your answers.

Our industry as a whole will not be jeapordize by me selling cultured corals either grown here or abroad. So take your soap box elsewhere as I am not intent on taking corals from the wild. How many wild corals do you import on a yearly basis Kyle; a heck of a lot more then me so to say that I am indirectly harming our industry by selling cultured corals and ones that are 1" is down right obsurd.

The end consumers have the right to challenge my integrity as they are the one's that are buying my corals. If they are unhappy with what I've sent then I would not be selling corals much longer. Regardless of whether these corals have a fancy name or not; they are priced accordingly. I do not own a multimillion dollar home nor do I drive a very expensive vehicle.

Regarding my integrity, Kyle I do not want to air our industry's dirty laundry but you, sir, are hardly a person to question my integrity; I will leave it at that unless you would like me to further pursue this. Remember it is a very tight knit community.

So in summary, I put fancy names on these corals and if people choose to buy them for their fancy names so be it. Now, if these corals look similar to others on the internet it is entirely coincidental.

Moderators, please lock this thread yet once again.

Cheers Kyle.

Paul

Last edited by Gooly001; 10-09-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:14 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

why can't you just stop badgering a reputable vendor and appreciate the fact that we have these corals available to us?
Even if these corals are not originally from ORA (and for the record i don't know if these corals are from ORA or not) they are still great looking corals, that look extremely similar, if not identical. just because someone decides to give a coral a common name doesn't mean that you can only get that coral, or a coral that looks similar, from the person who named it.
For instance, purple hornet zoas. For a while these were a huge craze, and everybody wanted them. but guess what? they didn't all come from the man who decided to call them purple hornets. some purple hornets are obviously not from the same original strain, but people were just happy to have a great coral.
Another example would be oregon tort. I personally have owned a frag of oregon tort. did i believe that it was a frag from the original colony that someone named oregon tort? of course not. the point is that it was an awesome frag that looked identical to the original strain and i was happy to have it, and i called it oregon tort because thats the POPULAR COMMON NAME.
so please, let a great dealer provide great corals, instead of ruining it for the rest of us.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:15 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Wait a second there big boy before you lock the thread... Make sure you've got me down for the 5 corals I want.. Yes 5.. I've bought from Paul since the conception of Oceanic Corals.. And I have never been disappointed in anything I've received. Corals are not like dogs, they don't come with registration numbers, tattoos and pedigree papers.. So my eye is the judge of what Im getting.. It it looks like a Sunset Monti... To me at least, it's a Sunset Monti.

Last edited by Borderjumper; 10-09-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep View Post

What are these corals? If a customer were to walk into your premises and ask the same question, what would you answer?
If a customer is so inclined, they can walk in and ask. They can then deal with the answer, or lack thereof, at that time. Stop harrassing this vendor.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Thread closed.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Paul- View Post
Moderators, please lock this thread yet once again.

Paul
Paul, no need to lock it, this is done. You have frags, you bought them, you can sell them with whatever name you like. If someone owns the name through patent law, they can have their people contact your people. If people like your frags for color and value, they can buy them, regardless of what they're called. Everyone seems happy with your product, so call them what you want.