Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Unbelievable. Who gives a damm if one thinks or does not think it prevents fire or not. It should be used with aquariums. Period. Thats it. Wholley crap, what a stupid discussion. It should be about using one to save a life possibly. Regardless of anything else. If someone does not wish to thats their problem. All we can do is try tp persude them that its in their best interest.

Myka, would that maybe be the ones who told me there was not such thing as as a arc fault breaker.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR37 View Post
Ignorance is bliss.

I don't need to change the timing belt on my car because I change the oil every 4900K. Give your head a shake, thats comparable to the logic that people are using to defend the idea that a GFI can prevent fire. Anyone who has had a GFI prevent what they think would have been a fire is clearly displaying how unfamiliar they are with electricity period.
isn't it wonderfull we have you then.. good thing as aprently I waisted two years in university

anyways to answer the question I asked that you don't want to as it will show you are not exactly corect, is "yes" a short can cause a fire, actualy shorts are the major cause of fires. and yes a GFI will prevent most shorts, so in a way yes they will prevent soem fires.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:13 PM

RR37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
isn't it wonderfull we have you then.. good thing as aprently I waisted two years in university

anyways to answer the question I asked that you don't want to as it will show you are not exactly corect, is "yes" a short can cause a fire, actualy shorts are the major cause of fires. and yes a GFI will prevent most shorts, so in a way yes they will prevent soem fires.

Steve
Dude, I didn't see your post calm down.

The only short they would prevent is a short to ground, if you can make a fire with a short to ground your pretty special. Like red green special...
Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss.

I don't need to change the timing belt on my car because I change the oil every 4900K. Give your head a shake, thats comparable to the logic that people are using to defend the idea that a GFI can prevent fire. Anyone who has had a GFI prevent what they think would have been a fire is clearly displaying how unfamiliar they are with electricity period.
My part in this thread has gone on long enough. You've made your point and I've made mine so I won't argue this any further. I personally don't care what they do exactly or how they do it. All I know is since I installed GFI's I haven't seen any sparks or smoke when my electronics get wet and that is good enough for me.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Unbelievable. Who gives a damm if one thinks or does not think it prevents fire or not. It should be used with aquariums. Period. Thats it. Wholley crap, what a stupid discussion. It should be about using one to save a life possibly. Regardless of anything else. If someone does not wish to thats their problem. All we can do is try tp persude them that its in their best interest.

Myka, would that maybe be the ones who told me there was not such thing as as a arc fault breaker.

He, he, I'm with you here. I attempted to steer the thread back to the original question, but it seems folks have very selective reading focus at the moment and are intent on flogging these electrons along a different path.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:32 PM

RR37 is on a distinguished road

Well, I am sorry for coming off as a douche... Admitdley became carried away with this thread.

To wrap things up, I think that there are very few negative aspects from installing a gfi to protect us from accidental electrocution. That's all that should be expected from a gfi, if you are looking to protect yourself from a fire look into an afi or fuse. If you install a gfi and consider your system fire proof you are mistaken and should rethink the preventative measures taken.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Well sweet Jesus guess what I found at a garage sale today?...... Those awesome non-skid retro daisy decals that grandma had in her tub!! unused and ready to go........AND NOW installed and looking fine. Damn I feel safe. Just a little humour to lighten the air since I started this thread.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:32 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Already tried stating the facts
Are you an electrician? Sorry if I offend (not the intent), but when I know nothing of a subject I refuse to take the first person's word. I would be looking for someone schooled or at least very well practiced in the field. This goes for any topic, which is why I'm never the first person to jump on the bandwagon.

----------------------

For the record, I have never used a GFCI on any tank. I have had tanks since 1989, saltwater since 1993. I have never had a fire, but I have had powerbars short out. I have been electrocuted pretty well, but nothing worse than hair standing on end. Personally, I have heard of more cases of people having tank crashes from GFCIs tripping than I have heard of people getting electrocuted or having a fire. I believe the reason is because most people do not have GFCIs installed in a smart manner as many people put all the tank's hardware into one GFCI receptacle. Not so bright.

----------------------

Doug, I don't understand the question? Did an electrician give you stupid answers? Not the first time that would have happened in the world. Finding a qualified electrician may be harder to find that just any Jow Blow with a ticket.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-08-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Well sweet Jesus guess what I found at a garage sale today?...... Those awesome non-skid retro daisy decals that grandma had in her tub!! unused and ready to go........AND NOW installed and looking fine. Damn I feel safe. Just a little humour to lighten the air since I started this thread.
Hey. I had some of them in my tub.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:26 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
It would be wise to find a qualified electrician - not just any Joe Blow with a ticket!

SPS fanatic.