Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

Old 08-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

no, thats not correct, if you put one finger on the hot terminal and one finger on the common terminal, electricity will flow back and forth through your body just like it will through a light bulb, toaster, heater, pump, or anything else you plug into it. if you touch the hot terminal with one finger and a copper water pipe with the other finger then electricity will flow through your body to the water pipe bypassing the common terminal of the gfi, causing it to trip, preventing unintentional electrocution.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

that damage to the plug and power bar was caused by current arcing across the terminals, hot and common, it probably only took a few amps to cause that damage which is why the breaker didn't trip, fortunately some current also arced to the ground terminal on your power bar, causing current to bypass the common terminal on your gfi causing it to trip. that is why it is so important to not get water on your electrical circuits.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Okay not trying to be a smart arse, know it all blow hard jerk by I need to ask if anyone has "personally known" anyone that died from an accidental aquarium electrocution. Not heard about or knew a guy, but either went to a funeral or at least was only one person removed from the deceased. I realize the obvious risks but wonder what the "true" likely hood of it happening to me. My chances are higher than most as I don't shut power down or use GFCI'S. The way I see it is unless it happens as my arm is fully submerged the risk is minimal. If there was a problem existing and I went to put my hand in a quick "how do you do" is all I would get. No expert but my wife always seems to stay a fair distance away when I'm do tamk maintanence........worry or something more sinister???
Might be a good idea at this point to review the OP's original questions/intent for this thread. There are a pile of threads regarding GFCI devices on this and other forums and much of the information presented here has been rehashed ad infinitum. I'm sure we can all search the net for more specific info on how GFCIs work, their application, etc.

No, I do not know anyone personally who has died from accidental aquarium electrocution, nor have I been to such a funeral. Seems like the OP is willing to deal with the risk involved by not using GFCI devices for his aquarium equipment whereas his wife is a little more cautious. Fine, we all take risks daily as soon as we drag our butts out of bed.

The electrical code is designed to standardize installations and provide the best level of safety using the technology available at the time. If you have an older home, you are under no obligation to bring it up to current code requirements, your call, you live with the risks of not doing so. My place was built in the late '50s early ' 60s and I've been doing a few wiring upgrades including a new breaker panel with AFCI & GFCI circuit breakers. Some of the stuff I've found behind the walls and in the older boxes is scary. By rights my place probably should have burned down by now, but somehow, it hasn't. I only have a few wire runs left to replace and I need to get on that based on some of the stuff I've come across. The code is updated periodically and GFCI/AFCI devices are relatively new on the scene. They can be a costly upgrade as well depending on how you go about it. If you're building new, you don't have much choice, the inspector will make sure it's up to code.

Here is an excerpt from the B.C. Book 1 edition of the "Electrical Code Simplified - Residential" published by PS Knight. There is a newer edition out there, but I'm fairly certain the GFCI requirements will be similar if not identical and other provinces will also be much the same.

(4) G.F.C.I Protected Plug Circuits Required - The rules require separate G.F.I. protection for the following:

A All plug outlets - within 118 in. (3 m) of a bathtub or shower stall, (except washing machine and dryer plugs in a combined bath and laundry room), Rule 26-700(11); and

B All plug outlets - within 118 in. (3 m) of a wash basin, (except washing machine and dryer plugs in a combined bath and laundry room), Rule 26-700(11); and

C All carport plugs - See explanation below, under "Carport only Plug Outlets".

D All outdoor plugs - which are ON the outside of a single family dwelling or an attached garage and which are within 98.5 in. (2.5 m) of grade, Rule 26-714(b).

Notice there appears to be no rule regarding aquariums specifically. But does it make common sense that your level of safety around an aquarium may be elevated through the use of a GFCI device? More than likely and all my equipment is so protected. Will you die if you don't install or retrofit a GFCI device? Beats me, I play lotto 649 and haven't won more than about $80 in countless years of playing. 99% of folks not using GFCI protection will likely never have a problem, heck, we lived without them since Ben Franklin flew his kite in the lightning storm. It would be interesting to see some statistics on known cases of electrocution and their causes. Even GFCIs can be faulty, so no absolute guarantees. It all boils down to your own comfort level with regard to electricity near water, or in our case, submerged in water... heaters, power heads, pumps.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 PM

RR37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It sounds like everyone in this thread thinks they know what they are talking about, but in reality it is a bunch of opinions without much education on a topic that is pretty important, and doesn't have room for opinions. Electricity doesn't run on opinion, it runs on predictable facts. Time for an electrician to chime in, and state the facts.
Already tried stating the facts, GFI's only protect against electrocutions involving a ground fault. (Which is why I used them ) Anything else that can/will/may happen is circumstantial at best. Ergo, claiming that a house would not have burned down had said person(s) installed a GFI is absurd.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR37 View Post
Already tried stating the facts, GFI's only protect against electrocutions involving a ground fault. (Which is why I used them ) Anything else that can/will/may happen is circumstantial at best. Ergo, claiming that a house would not have burned down had said person(s) installed a GFI is absurd.
but depending on what caused it, it could have prevented it. I don't thing anyone has said absolutly it wouldn't have happend with a gfi, but rather it might not have happened. depending on how it actualy started. a GFIC can protect a ground fault which could cause a fire.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
but depending on what caused it, it could have prevented it. I don't thing anyone has said absolutly it wouldn't have happend with a gfi, but rather it might not have happened. depending on how it actualy started. a GFIC can protect a ground fault which could cause a fire.

Steve
A GROUND FAULT WILL NOT CAUSE A FIRE !

Its the arcing that causes fires...
Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Its wonderful that its absurd that my house didn't burn down.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_stir View Post
no, thats not correct, if you put one finger on the hot terminal and one finger on the common terminal, electricity will flow back and forth through your body just like it will through a light bulb, toaster, heater, pump, or anything else you plug into it. if you touch the hot terminal with one finger and a copper water pipe with the other finger then electricity will flow through your body to the water pipe bypassing the common terminal of the gfi, causing it to trip, preventing unintentional electrocution.
your putting up the absolutly worst case senario which in 99.99999% of the cases won't happen. some of that power will flow through you and be grounded so it isn't all going to go back to the common line. the gfic will detect a differance in flow and trip, preventing you from getting a shock. you don't need to touch a copper pipe. think back to when your a kid and you stuck a knife into an outlet and got a hell of a shock, I wasn't touching anything else except the carpet. if we were totaly isolated from ground then we wouldn't even get a shock.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 08-07-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
A GROUND FAULT WILL NOT CAUSE A FIRE !

Its the arcing that causes fires...
ok.. look at it this way can a short cause a fire?

Steve

Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Its wonderful that its absurd that my house didn't burn down.
Ignorance is bliss.

I don't need to change the timing belt on my car because I change the oil every 4900K. Give your head a shake, thats comparable to the logic that people are using to defend the idea that a GFI can prevent fire. Anyone who has had a GFI prevent what they think would have been a fire is clearly displaying how unfamiliar they are with electricity period.