Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

Old 07-30-2010, 08:59 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road
Default Gfci ......

Okay not trying to be a smart arse, know it all blow hard jerk by I need to ask if anyone has "personally known" anyone that died from an accidental aquarium electrocution. Not heard about or knew a guy, but either went to a funeral or at least was only one person removed from the deceased. I realize the obvious risks but wonder what the "true" likely hood of it happening to me. My chances are higher than most as I don't shut power down or use GFCI'S. The way I see it is unless it happens as my arm is fully submerged the risk is minimal. If there was a problem existing and I went to put my hand in a quick "how do you do" is all I would get. No expert but my wife always seems to stay a fair distance away when I'm do tamk maintanence........worry or something more sinister???
Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Didn't you see the 1000 ways to die about this ?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:15 PM

I'll put ya down as a no ..... I do look both ways when I cross the street.

Last edited by jorjef; 07-30-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

nope
but i still feel uncomfortable with plugging something into the wall that goes into the water of my tank. From day 1 of my life ive been told that was bad and yet i do that everyday now.

makes me think, what else have i been lied to about? Is the sky really not blue?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:54 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Could play a big game of know anyone that died from... but if a relatively cheap device is available to limit or eliminate the risk of electrocution, I'd say why take a chance and kick over the 10 bucks.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:27 PM

Good point, wise advise.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:30 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I've been shocked and I know a few other who have as well. I also know of 5 local aquarium caused fires that could have been prevented with GFCIs... the most recent one was this week at our LFS.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

How abou this:

I was hooking up a reactor to the back of my old 28G Nano, well I hooked it all up except didn't hook up the return. I don't know why, but dummy me... I turned on the pump and started pumping salt water all over my feet, onto the floor and onto my power/controller bar... Well sparks flew, and I got out of the water real fast, unplugged the power bar but it was too late. I fried the $60 bar that fast, if my feet were in the water, I probably would of had a jolt of a lifetime or more.

So I run 2 GFCI's now for that reason... Another reason also:

I was trying to put electronic ballasts onto my old fixture that had magnetic ones... Well the GFCI kept tripping, so I thought that maybe I had too much on the line now, so I got an extension and plugged it in somewhere else. Well When I plugged the electronic ballast into the fixture and then to the wall, I had a small nuclear explosion and blew the left side of my light...

Again, the GFCI was indicating a problem... So I listen to them when they don't want to stay active.

I hope this helps, and for 30 bucks or so, it is well worth it

Lastly, do you want to burn your home down, I have seen pic's of such a thing.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 AM

Albertan22 is on a distinguished road

You can put me down as a no for your original question, but I do use them. Here's a reason to consider using them though, building code (at least in Alberta) states that any outlet within 1.5m of water needs to be GFCI protected. If you have an electrical fire in your house (regardless of whether the aquarium caused it or not), and the investigator finds that you have code violations, it's likely that they'll void your insurance and you'll be out big bucks... It's been my experience that insurance finds any way they can to not pay what they owe you
Old 08-04-2010, 01:24 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan22 View Post
. If you have an electrical fire in your house (regardless of whether the aquarium caused it or not), and the investigator finds that you have code violations, it's likely that they'll void your insurance and you'll be out big bucks... It's been my experience that insurance finds any way they can to not pay what they owe you
And does anyone one have first hand experience with this? Asked a Fire Dept guy that was involved in investigations about similar (basement renos without a permit), he never heard about someone being declined.