Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Who uses a quarantine tank?
I quarantine everything 5 4.42%
I quarantine only my fish 18 15.93%
I quarantine and use dip/bath 9 7.96%
I only use a dip/bath 7 6.19%
I don’t quarantine or use a dip/bath 74 65.49%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2007, 03:45 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Shane, we should have a thread, or even a sticky about how to QT or dip fish/corals with the least amount of stress as possible.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

No, not according to the results of the poll. However, it is difficult to condone not Qt'ing or whatever that dipping thing is..

I don't QT. In fact, I bought a fish with full blown ick and threw it into my reef tank, knowing that good food, good water quality, etc. would cure it in a hurry. And it did, because my existing fish were healthy.

However, for the new people, who rarely let their tank mature before adding yet another fish, or adding fish that do not suit the environment, this is not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon H View Post
I had been using a quarantine for about six months, and then was advised against it by my LFS. It appeared that about 1/3 of the peopleworking at the LFS did baths and used a quarantine and the other 2/3 did not. I discussed the issue at length with a group of people working at the LFS and at the end of the day, concluded that I would not dip or use a QT. While everything on the Internet and in the books strongly suggests a quarantine, the arguments against using one seem equally as strong. The main argument is that the strongest determinant of fish health is water quality and that it is almost impossible to get as good a water quality in your QT as it is in your display tank. Unless you are willing to basically duplicate the equipment from your display on your QT, you might be doing the fish more harm than good by using a QT. This seems to be the conclusion reached by most of the people working at the LFS.

Am I the only one that has come to this same conclusion? Not according to the results of the poll ;-)
Old 08-20-2007, 06:31 AM

hawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
I don't QT. In fact, I bought a fish with full blown ick and threw it into my reef tank, knowing that good food, good water quality, etc. would cure it in a hurry. And it did, because my existing fish were healthy.

Not trying to be argumentative and glad it worked out for you, but IMO probably not the best idea to expose a healthy tank to a known diseased fish. Skipping qt and dealing with ick is one thing but what would you have done if the fish had flukes or velvet?, neither of which have visible symptoms in the early stages.
The good water, stress free environment argument is often used as a reason not to qt but unfortunately poor conditions can arise in any system at anytime ie. holidays, power outages, equipment failure, work, sickness etc. The key is to keep the disease out of the display in the first place.
There is no reason a properly set-up qt should be a stressful environment nor should it get the blame for a fish death. If a fish dies in qt, there was something wrong with it and better it dies in qt rather than the display. If a healthy fish dies in qt, then there was something wrong with the qt procedure. I agree with Marie, the reason I qt is to protect my display, the many benefits to the new fish are secondary.

Last edited by hawk; 08-20-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road

It is quite interesting that everyone writing in is all for QT and dipping and yet the results of the poll suggest most people do not do it.

If you only use a tank for QT - how do you keep the cycle running and the water quality good?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

Hey mseepman you can get flatworm exit at Ocean Aquatics. Last time I was there he had about 4 boxes.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier Pressure View Post
It is quite interesting that everyone writing in is all for QT and dipping and yet the results of the poll suggest most people do not do it.

If you only use a tank for QT - how do you keep the cycle running and the water quality good?
At the moment I have live rock in mine and I'm not planning on getting fish anytime soon but when i was stocking with fish I kept some sponges for a HOB filter in the sump of my display tank to keep them seeded.
When I was expecting a new fish I would fill the QT with fresh saltwater, put the sponges in the filter and if I had a few days before the fish arrived I would add a few mysis shrimp to keep the bacteria fed.

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-21-2007, 06:40 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Skipping qt and dealing with ick is one thing but what would you have done if the fish had flukes or velvet?, neither of which have visible symptoms in the early stages.
I've always bought fish from reliable sources, so I can't say I've ever run into a problem like that, well at least for eight years now.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:05 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've always bought fish from reliable sources, so I can't say I've ever run into a problem like that, well at least for eight years now.
No such luck on the west coast. Fish go through the shops so quick 3/4 of them have disease or they're too stressed from transport to put directly in my display with a bunch of crazed territorial maniacs.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:58 AM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am only aware of one LFS that quarantines all their fish and won't let you buy them until "after" the 2 week quarantine period. Ideally, I like to observe fish over several weeks at the LFS before buying them. However, most of the fish I want are snatched up quickly. I also live out of town and only make it into Calgary every few months.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

You need a "only quarantine/dip corals" option for me.....