Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Who uses quarantine tanks? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34720)

surgeonfish 08-18-2007 08:06 PM

Who uses quarantine tanks?

We all have read about the benefits of a quarantine tank when introducing new livestock into our aquariums. However, it can be a hassle to set up such a tank. I felt it was time for a new poll and want to know who actually uses a quarantine tank, what they quarantine and for how long.

I can't even reach the bottom of my tank and find it very difficult to remove anything once introduced into my system. Therefore, I want to be confident that what ever goes into my tank is as healthy as possible and hopefully free of disease. Therefore, I have a 44 gal quarantine tank constantly stocked and running and add new fish and inverts for 2-3 weeks. I don't have strong lighting on the quarantine tanks and thus add corals directly to the main tank (probably should also quarantine and/or dip).

justinl 08-18-2007 08:17 PM

i QT and dip. i mean really, the dip takes at the most ten minutes. real easy and a precaution that we should all be taking.

for while i didnt bother QTing and then i ended up getting a bad case of ich and ended up with a tank full of dead fish. ever since, ive been kicking myself for being stupid enough to take that risk in the first place.

hawk 08-18-2007 08:34 PM

I Qt all fish, if for one reason or another qt has to be cut short I'll treat prophylactically. Corals get dip and qt.

surgeonfish 08-18-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinl (Post 266615)
i QT and dip. i mean really, the dip takes at the most ten minutes. real easy and a precaution that we should all be taking.

How do you do your dip? Does anyone use any commercial products?

Der_Iron_Chef 08-18-2007 08:38 PM

A Lugol's dip?

Parker 08-18-2007 08:54 PM

In the past I didn't QT anything. I recently went through a bout of ICH and lost my Regal. I have since learnt my lesson and now have a QT. My justification for not having was it's only a 75 I can get a fish out without a problem..while true, I had no where to put it! Now that I recently upgraded to a large tank, I won't take the risk of putting anything in that hasn't been QT'ed. I simply won't be able to get things out as easily.

hawk 08-18-2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surgeonfish (Post 266619)
How do you do your dip? Does anyone use any commercial products?

For corals I have used Lugols. It's not a complete answer but what it does do is make the parasites if any leave the coral. You can then at least see/identify them in the dip container and proceed accordingly. My last few frags I used TMPCC as a dip rather than Lugol's but same idea.. For fish I have used Formalin, Prazipro and fresh water.

i have crabs 08-18-2007 09:02 PM

after killing a whole tank full of fish everything goes in the qt

andrewsk 08-18-2007 09:48 PM

I use a QT tank as well. I cannot imagine killing my fish due to my impatience.

justinl 08-18-2007 10:07 PM

I just do a standard freshwater dip. mind you, lugol's would be nice, but i think the FW dip is sufficient. oh, and i dip before and after QT.