Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-22-2005, 04:18 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Test your Mg, sounds like a classic low Mg problem to me.

once you fix the Mg level you can raise you Ca again and it will depress the Alk which is artificialy high because there is not enuf Ca to limit it. but like I said test the Mg first. My guess is you will find it down around 800 PPM

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:05 AM

Corey is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the links Bev, Ive read them a thousand times before, thats why Im stumped, I am only dosing with Kalk and my ALK is still going through the roof. I was going to try using epsom salts for Mg and see if that will fix it, can you OD with MG?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:48 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

I would do a little reading before raising Mg levels with Epsom salts alone... I think it's an issue with free chloride ions... a Mg additive is supposed to be 1 part epsom salts to 10 parts Magnesium Sulfate Hexahydrate... which I think helps precipitate those nasty chlorides, but I'm not the chemist... check Littlesilvermax's posts to get more info..
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 AM

IslandReefer is on a distinguished road
Default Mg

Sorry Jim....Ya got it backwards dude
You can use Epson salts (MgSo4) about once for Mg suppliment because the sulfate levels will be raised too much.
To keep your ionic balance, a mix of 1 in ten MgSO4 to MgCL2.6H2O is used.
........BTW dropping kalk is the typical way of this happening....Ca and alk but no Mg....which must be supplimented...a lot more than I ever thought too...PS Both Bev and I had similar events...culprit low Mg

its all about quality, not quantity.....
...when in doubt buy a Binford....
Old 11-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Thanks for the links Bev, Ive read them a thousand times before, thats why Im stumped, I am only dosing with Kalk and my ALK is still going through the roof. I was going to try using epsom salts for Mg and see if that will fix it, can you OD with MG?
Yes, you can overdose as with anything to fast of a change is bad. do not dose Mg unless you have a test kit to tell you where you are starting and when you are done. add no more than 100ppm/day (has worked for me with no problems a few times )

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 11-22-2005, 02:54 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Corey,

We had low pH in our tanks the first winter we lived in our new condo that has in-floor heating. Turned out the condo is pretty airtight and we were all suffering from too much CO2, hence the low pH. With the in-floor heating, there was no air coming into the place to give a proper balance of O2 and CO2.

With that in mind, you might also be suffering from high CO2 in your tankroom, and perhaps your whole living quarters. Is your tank in the basement or in a room that gets little fresh air?

Along with the high CO2, we also had high humidity. To counteract both of these, we kept our two bedroom windows open a crack and strategically placed a floor fan to push the fresh air into the tank area. pH soon began to rise somewhat. When humidity got too high (it was like a sauna in here at times), we'd open the balcony door for several minutes to exchange the air. pH rose even more after that.

To find out if you have high CO2 in your house/tank room, do the following test both inside the house and outside in the fresh air:

1. Pour a new glass of cool tapwater for each test. Measure with a pH probe and record the results.
2. Aerate the glass of water with an air pump for 10 minutes, then measure pH and record results.
3. Compare inside and outside end pHs. The outside pH will give you an accurate account of what the proper balance of O2 and CO2 should be. If you inside pH is lower than the outside pH, you need more fresh air in your tankroom.

BTW, we did the outside pH test in January when it was really freaking cold. Can't remember the exact numbers, but I believe inside pH was about 7.9 and outside pH was 8.2 or 8.4 or something like that.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 11-22-2005, 03:50 PM

Corey is on a distinguished road

Never ending good tips, thanks guys. I tried taking the air pump outside, not a co2 problem.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:38 PM

Oh, and as for the PH, a level of 7.9 doesn't concern me as a normal range would be from 7.8 to 8.2. for what it is worth my set up always runs at 7.9. also depending on the time of day your PH will be either lower or higher.

Steve

Old 11-22-2005, 10:41 PM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandReefer
You can use Epson salts (MgSo4) about once for Mg suppliment because the sulfate levels will be raised too much.
........BTW dropping kalk is the typical way of this happening....Ca and alk but no Mg....which must be supplimented...a lot more than I ever thought too...PS Both Bev and I had similar events...culprit low Mg
Thanks John... I KNEW a chemist would show up and part the clouds!
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 11-23-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandReefer
John where can we get MgCL2.6H2O here? it would be a lot cheeper to make it than buy it

Steve