Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 05-26-2013, 12:32 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down King Eds? Wow! I'm done with them!

I just stopped by King Eds to take a look for some snails and took a gander through their livestock.

When I ended up in the saltwater area - the man who is always there - most would remember and know him as the 'chain and toothpick guy' who is normally standing by the door was working the salty area. A young guy who was with his girlfriend was being told how to care for his new percula clown pair and anenome in their brand new tank they just bought."turn the lights on when you get up and turn them off before you go yo bed" he says. Yeah... what about the fact you have no business buying a marine fish before atleast keeping a damn Betta first.

But see, that wasn't the part that made me storm away and leave to never return. It got better. Apparently pointing out dead fish is a big no-no. Personally, as a business owner myself, if a customer points out an error wether it be useful or not, needs to be taken into consideration. But when a dead fish can completely irraticate your entire livestock - I would be thankful if someone pointed it out. I didn't find one dead marine fish - I found 7. Hippo tang, one damsel, two wrasses, and a gorgeous emporer angel belly up. When I pointed them out, I was polite and courteous.

He picked out a few of them, then passed a couple off as "normal." Sorry, been around long enough to know a foul dead fish when I see one. They weren't naping.

I took a look for what I came in for since he was readily available, then I noticed one more carcass - white, half eaten and festering while seemingly sucking the life right out of a blue tip anemone, as he was attached at the stem. I pointed it out to him. He took barely a glance and angrily replied that clownfish swim with anemones. Yeah - I know that. But look - he's half eaten and dead - interrupted "then don't buy one."

Noted. Thank you. Unacceptable. The fish dif not look healthy, and wouldn't be surprised if they lasted another two weeks without some sort of treatment. If you don't believe me, go see for yourself.

Great coral prices and specimens, but horrible livestock care and customer service. It's truly a shame that I will never return.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

You should take up your concerns with the store management and see how they handle it, before giving an opinion on an open form. My 2 cents worth.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:09 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

The problem is - he is management, if not the owner of the place. If I felt like it would get somewhere, I would. Feel free to shop there, it's only my personal opinion, and I would value your input about local businesses as well.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:18 AM

monkE is on a distinguished road

wow! that's crazy. it looked good last time we were in there! good to know man, thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 01:21 AM

monkE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown lover View Post
You should take up your concerns with the store management and see how they handle it, before giving an opinion on an open form. My 2 cents worth.
I'll side with Ryan on this one Laurie, this is what an open forum is all about. I would certainly do the same about any vendor that gave me such a bad experience, whether it be a fish store, an eatery, or a car shop.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:44 AM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

Bottom line is they push fish and dry goods...if they tell how hard it isto keep marine fish, and anything negative, you will likely not make a living.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:14 AM

neven is on a distinguished road

On the contrary, it gives them more opportunity to sell you other gear and dry goods to 'help.' accurate advice and a clean store is what you need to give people if you want repeat business. Unfortunately too many people only care about the cheapest prices rather than quality of service so take that increased risk of buying stock from said store. Now if you dropped thousands of dollars in a short time there or constantly then they treat you well, but those customers who sporadically spend are just trash to wiggle a few extra dollars out of when you are in fact acknowledged

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Old 05-26-2013, 02:47 AM

Dempsey is on a distinguished road

I don't go there nearly as often since Bob/Robert (the main saltwater guy who was always there) hasn't been around. From what I hear he is on a medical leave and has been for a few months.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

The guy works there on Sunday is quite good though.

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 05-26-2013, 03:34 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexifd View Post
The guy works there on Sunday is quite good though.
Lol

Tags
king eds, lfs reviews