Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default AquaVitro Salinity Reef Salt

Anyone else running this at the moment? Would like to see if anyone else is getting different tested values compared to their independent lab analysis.

It's telling me that their calcium level for 1.026 is 407ppm, two separate test kits of mine have now confirmed the level to be well over 540ppm.

Lot number 56369.00.

In addition to this I'm getting an insoluble material that floats on the surface, very small white crystals that have yet to dissolve after 36 hours of mixing...

Time to swap back to Reef Crystals me thinks?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

I use salinity. My mix is always pinpoint at what the label claims (I test for calc and alk only). Takes around 24hours to dissolve clearly. No suspended matter though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
Anyone else running this at the moment? Would like to see if anyone else is getting different tested values compared to their independent lab analysis.

It's telling me that their calcium level for 1.026 is 407ppm, two separate test kits of mine have now confirmed the level to be well over 540ppm.

Lot number 56369.00.

In addition to this I'm getting an insoluble material that floats on the surface, very small white crystals that have yet to dissolve after 36 hours of mixing...

Time to swap back to Reef Crystals me thinks?

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
I use salinity. My mix is always pinpoint at what the label claims (I test for calc and alk only). Takes around 24hours to dissolve clearly. No suspended matter though.
You don't have the lot # of your last batch by any chance?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 AM

There you go

Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

This is what they told me when I talked to them

Quote:
Hello Nick,

An alkalinity of 9/10 dKH and a magnesium of 1400 mg/L are within specification. A calcium of 590 is not. I checked the certified lab results and they show a calcium of 436. Have you double-checked the calcium concentration with another method or maybe you could have someone else test it for you?

I suggest not using a heater and don't mix it too long to avoid excess cloudiness. If you are using a large powerhead this will also cause precipitation. Mixing too long or mixing too hard (as with a large powerhead) will introduce excess CO2 which causes precipitation of carbonates. Elevated temperatures will reduce the solubility of calcium carbonate also creating precipitation.

Product Support
So I asked should I remove the powerhead and heater from my set up......
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

And this. Don't know why you shouldn't mix for more than 24hrs. My cubes been mixing since march.

Quote:
The cloudiness in salinity is due to the high concentration of quality materials we use. Cloudiness is more prominent in buckets that have higher calcium and alkalinity levels. How do you mix your salt and to what salinity? Here we mix it in a 50 gallon drum at room temperature for no more than 24 hours.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 AM

I don't use heater. I dissolve mine in a bit warm water (possibly around 85). The solution itself is exothermic and produces excess heat. I just use a maxijet 400 to dissolve 2-3gallon of saltmix for 24hours.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
This is what they told me when I talked to them

So I asked should I remove the powerhead and heater from my set up......
The statement made by Aquavitro, in addition to these values scares me enough to swap back to RC.

Under normal circumstances a salt mix should never be concentrated enough to allow for calcium bicarbonate precipitation (@NSW 1.026 values). The only way to do this would be vastly increasing ambient CO2 levels or altering internal water chemistry AWAY from NSW values. The levels of excess calcium being detected could very well be the source of super saturation and conversely the precipitate/ cloudiness.

As you stated why would I add a salt to my tank that doesn't work well when heated, mixed thoroughly or exposed to CO2? These are all key components in my reef aquarium...
Old 11-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
As you stated why would I add a salt to my tank that doesn't work well when heated, mixed thoroughly or exposed to CO2? These are all key components in my reef aquarium...
That's what I got out of their comments as well. Awesome salt, just don't add water to it
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
The statement made by Aquavitro, in addition to these values scares me enough to swap back to RC.

Under normal circumstances a salt mix should never be concentrated enough to allow for calcium bicarbonate precipitation (@NSW 1.026 values). The only way to do this would be vastly increasing ambient CO2 levels or altering internal water chemistry AWAY from NSW values. The levels of excess calcium being detected could very well be the source of super saturation and conversely the precipitate/ cloudiness.

Yap this salt is possibly the most controversial salt out there in market. People mainly leave this salt because of the precipitation but people who stayed with this salt always admired it.

I am sticking with this is because I don't need to buy any test kit other than nitrate and phosphate. Atleast for this batch