Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road
Default Discussion - Bigger tanks are easier for the beginner, True or False?

I think there is an accepted truth that bigger tanks are easier to keep and more suitable for beginners. I think this statement is false and I want to discuss it here. What are your opinions?

I think the myth that larger tanks are more stable and less prone to crashing is just not true. The problems and circumstances that could cause a tank to crash occur regardless of size.

In fact I argue that nano tanks are easier to recover if a problem happens. Smaller more frequent water changes, smaller amounts of carbon, easier to increase flow in an emergency.

Maintenance of nano tanks is far lighter, quicker and less costly which for the beginner means more likely they will stay with the hobby. If I was a retailer I would convince all new marine enthusiasts to by a nano first. If they can handle a nano and learn what it takes to successfully keep a marine system they will probably come back and purchase something bigger *and* be more successful in the hobby overall.

The problem is this myth that larger marine tanks are easier is perpetuated by the LFS because they want the big sales that come from large tanks. I know this to be true because I worked at an LFS for five years.

So discuss. Am I wrong?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I guess I would say somewhat, to a point. Smaller is tougher to maintain due to increased evaporation that may not be managed properly. Smaller portions of contaminants (oil on hands, etc) could have a bigger impact. Things like that. But ya, doing several 50% water changes on a 180 is not what I'd call easier
Balancing chemistry is probably the same in big or small. I've never had 90g as a reef, so not a lot of experience with small tanks, but I think there are probably as many pros and cons on both sides. Smaller is easier to manage financially I'm sure!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

I think nanos are easier, personally. In moving from a 10 gallon display to a 40 gallon display (both of which had the same sump), the time I spend doing maintenance has increased dramatically.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
I think nanos are easier, personally. In moving from a 10 gallon display to a 40 gallon display (both of which had the same sump), the time I spend doing maintenance has increased dramatically.
Not sure that's a universal though. I spend 5 minutes a day during the week, 20 min on Saturdays and 1 hour twice a month for water changes and misc stuff on a 180. Not what I would consider a lot of maintenance.
I imagine if I had a smaller tank, the time wouldn't reduce a lot. Or maybe it would?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Bigger tank = bigger mess.

I think smaller is easier once you've got everything dialed in, but they're tricker, more time consuming, to get to that point.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

smaller tanks are better for beginners IMO, this hobby is more expensive and more time consuming than most people realize. More often than not when people start with big tanks they end up being overwhelmed because it exceeds their budget or time allowance to do properly. Plus beginners usually go through a few phases of "ugly" all of which become harder to deal with the bigger the tank gets. You don't want too small either but 20 to 40 gallons is good size for people starting out IMO.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
smaller tanks are better for beginners IMO, this hobby is more expensive and more time consuming than most people realize. More often than not when people start with big tanks they end up being overwhelmed because it exceeds their budget or time allowance to do properly. Plus beginners usually go through a few phases of "ugly" all of which become harder to deal with the bigger the tank gets. You don't want too small either but 20 to 40 gallons is good size for people starting out IMO.

This should be gospel that all beginners should heed to. Bigger is not better when starting this hobby unless you have unlimited time, money and patience.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Not sure that's a universal though. I spend 5 minutes a day during the week, 20 min on Saturdays and 1 hour twice a month for water changes and misc stuff on a 180. Not what I would consider a lot of maintenance.
I imagine if I had a smaller tank, the time wouldn't reduce a lot. Or maybe it would?
I've gone from five minutes every day, to five minutes a weekday plus an hour+ on weekends (water change, glass scrapping, powerhead cleaning, etc.). That includes all of the time I spend fussing with my ro/di unit and nsw, too.

The system is now very "gadgeted up," however. I spent five hours last weekend just moving the controller and all of the wires, adding two more powerbars, and reprogramming the outlets. I love my toys way too much.

I don't expect to see a big increase in maintenance time when I upgrade to the 120 in the spring, though. All of the equipment will move to the new display, so the water changes will just be bigger.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM

fresh is on a distinguished road

In my humble opinion and experience, nanos (10+ gals) are easier to setup, maintain, control, and correct if something goes wrong. They require a lot less time and money to do all the above.

Evaporation (what most people think is one of the biggest culprits in parameter-swings) is really not that bad especially if the setup has a top (a cup every few days).

Additionally, along the lines of Enigma's post above, the more "toys" you add to your setup, the more fidgeting you will have to do regardless of the size of the setup The simpler it is kept, the less things you can play with

I truly think the biggest issue that hurts the new/beginner aquarist is not tank size or equipment, it really is husbandry knowledge (or lack of). Also knowledge of how much your tank size can handle and what it can and cannot do based on the included components.

All that said, nanos are also VERY limited in what you can keep in them. Most beginners are after tangs and angels, and have a stock-list that can only be accommodated in a 200+ gal tank!!!

My 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

With more experience maintenance becomes easier and less time consuming. I know I spend little time maintaining my tanks once they are setup and it doesn't really matter what size they are. However if I think back and imagine if I started this hobby with the tank size I have now I would probably not be in the hobby anymore, nor would I still be married

I know I hear the phase "start with as big of a tank as you can" quite often but it's mostly in LFSs and it seems IMO to suggest something more along the lines "spend as much money here as you can".