Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 AM

moppy is on a distinguished road
Default To edit posts or not edit posts

It is driving me nuts that I can't edit after I've posted, especially when it involves prices and stuff being sold. So, can someone who is in charge take a poll on this?

Or at least seriously think about why you aren't allowing people to edit their posts and maybe change it back to the way it was?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

From my understanding it got kinda outa control for a while. People just were deleting posts for no reason. I think it was handy, but not really necessary.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:06 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

It definitely was a Benefit in buy sell.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by moppy View Post
especially when it involves prices and stuff being sold.
This is mostly why it was removed. People were deleting things once sold, or completed emptying the post. We asked a billion times for this not to happen, temporarily removed editing, and as soon as we restored it, posts got removed again. So no poll, there's just no editing here beyond the initial 15 minutes.
It's easy enough to post a follow up post with items that are sold, or price renewals. If someone doesn't have the time to read all 7 posts in an ad, they probably don't have time to drive to your house to buy it. It's not that tough..
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

I'm fine with it. If it was to be changed I would extend the time out to 30 minutes perhaps.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
This is mostly why it was removed. People were deleting things once sold, or completed emptying the post. We asked a billion times for this not to happen, temporarily removed editing, and as soon as we restored it, posts got removed again. So no poll, there's just no editing here beyond the initial 15 minutes.
It's easy enough to post a follow up post with items that are sold, or price renewals. If someone doesn't have the time to read all 7 posts in an ad, they probably don't have time to drive to your house to buy it. It's not that tough..
It is really nice to be able to go through the old ads for cost comparison purposes. It is also nice to be able to go through them and see who most likely has colonies of what corals. Sometimes an item can even be traced back through a few buyers, which is another bonus.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
It is really nice to be able to go through the old ads for cost comparison purposes. It is also nice to be able to go through them and see who most likely has colonies of what corals. Sometimes an item can even be traced back through a few buyers, which is another bonus.
Exactly. And when people delete all the contents, or edit price to Sold, that historic benefit is gone.
The people that want the editing back in the buy/sell forums are typically the ones we're specifically targeting to NOT edit
There is no real NEED for editing, other than perhaps tank journals, which I've always tweaked for people as needed.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Exactly. And when people delete all the contents, or edit price to Sold, that historic benefit is gone.
The people that want the editing back in the buy/sell forums are typically the ones we're specifically targeting to NOT edit
There is no real NEED for editing, other than perhaps tank journals, which I've always tweaked for people as needed.

i have no problems with the no editing feature , ive always thought it usefull to go back through previous threads for pricing, info and even the hot debates....when there was editing people were changing stuff to much.

i like it the way it is, and as canreef grows bigger record keeping and archiving is going to become important.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

What about threads that make you face palm??? I've started a few of those I wish would just go away...no need for reminders of stupidity...
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
What about threads that make you face palm??? I've started a few of those I wish would just go away...no need for reminders of stupidity...
We like to keep those so that 5 years from now when you're "really really smart and know everything" we can go back get an old quote