Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Enigma's 12 Gallon Reef (AIO)

This tank was started on March 27th, 2012.

Setup was very easy. I love the whole AIO concept! Very neat and tidy. This will be a pretty little tank that will go in our living room, though it is presently tucked away in "my" downstairs bathroom.

I'm unsure what it will be stocked with at present. Live rock will be transferred out of my ten gallon into the sump of this one.

Present Equipment:

Tank:
12 Gal JBJ Nano Cube Deluxe + LED

Circulation:
Hydor Koralia Evolution Powerhead (240 GPH)

Heat:
Marineland Visi-Therm Deluxe Submersible 100 Watt Heater

Substrate & Rock:
5 lbs dry marco rock
~10 lbs Caribsea Aragamax Select
~1 lb Caribsea Special Coarse Aragonite (if I remember correctly . . . need to confirm)

Last edited by Enigma; 03-28-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Gotta love the feeling of a new tank! I see that little cave in the rocks there and it makes me think you should do a mated pair of smaller, cave-dwellers like gobies, jawfish or basslets (dare I say candy basslet? :P ). Keep the tank super mellow and you'll see those sorts of enigmatic fish more often, especially in a smaller tank.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Gotta love the feeling of a new tank! I see that little cave in the rocks there and it makes me think you should do a mated pair of smaller, cave-dwellers like gobies, jawfish or basslets (dare I say candy basslet? :P ). Keep the tank super mellow and you'll see those sorts of enigmatic fish more often, especially in a smaller tank.
That cave actually worked out really well! The pieces of rock just kind of came together that way. It was completely unintentional. The cave is quite large, and it goes all the way through to the back. I'm not thrilled with the way the rock looks . . . but the cave is so sweet I'm going to leave it the way it is.

I am having a conundrum about what will go in what tank. You may have just solved it for me.

Edit: The budget isn't there for Candy Basslets . . . though they are lovely!

Last edited by Enigma; 03-28-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:38 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Pseudochromis fridmani (orchid dottyback) would love that cave.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM

Carrera75 is on a distinguished road

Wow, a second tank. This one looks just as good as the other one. A Royal Gramma would love that cave too but 12 gallons might be a bit small for it. What about a small Tail Spot Blenny. This little fish has so much personality.

Tail Spot Blenny
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...29&pcatid=2229
Old 03-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
Pseudochromis fridmani (orchid dottyback) would love that cave.
Wow! What a lovely fish. I think this tank might be a bit on the small side for it, though. I'm certainly putting on my list of interesting fish: for when I eventually go with a big tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera75 View Post
Wow, a second tank. This one looks just as good as the other one.
The other tank is frustrating me a bit, and I think it is going to be a lot of work. There are so many bits and pieces. Cords are running everywhere. I should send a photo of it to the fire department so they can use it on their safety posters. It was poorly thought out. I had no plan . . . just went to the LFS and bought stuff.

This second one will be a lot easier. I've gleaned so much information in the last week+. I'm hoping that this one will keep me happy and optimistic while I work through the issues with the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera75 View Post
A Royal Gramma would love that cave too but 12 gallons might be a bit small for it. What about a small Tail Spot Blenny. This little fish has so much personality.

Tail Spot Blenny
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...29&pcatid=2229
Is it possible to get mated pairs of the Tail Spot Blennies? I like the idea of it being a little "love nest" of sorts.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

I have an Orchid Dotty and clown in my 12g AIO and while I wouldn't add another fish these two have lots of room and thrive. The Dotty inhabits the rock and crevasses the clown has the open water column.

Last edited by Snaz; 03-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I have an Orchid Dotty and clown in my 12g AIO and while I wouldn't add another fish these two have lots of room and thrive. The Dotty inhabits the rock and crevasses the clown has the open water column.
Excellent to know. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Well, I haven't done a whole lot to this tank. I've epoxied the rocks together, have tossed in some pretty huge quantities of fish food, and have added a bunch of bacteria.

Quote:
The notion of an Orchid Dotty/Clown pair seems to have stuck in my head. Providing I can find a tank raised Orchid, I think that's the way I'll go.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:33 AM

Crashed cycle!

Oops. My bad.

Ammonia is 8+ (my test only goes up to 8). Nitrites and Nitrates are almost zero.

I figured I was pushing it with how much fish food i was adding to this tank. Then one morning late last week I put way too much in. My carpool was waiting out front, and I figured it would be okay if I just siphoned out the over abundance of food when I got home from work.

I'm sure it would have been: had I remembered to do so.

I'll do a big water change tomorrow, see if I can get the ammonia down to three or so, and then start over.

Drat. Lesson number 20 (or something like that) in three weeks of "reefing." I use that term loosely to describe my activities so far.

Last edited by Enigma; 04-07-2012 at 02:36 AM.