Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road
Default Did anybody here start out with reef?

Did any of you start out with reef but decided it was too much of a hassle? Anyone go back to it?

Just curious. Because I can understand why you felt that way. I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged and am thinking FOWLR now.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:52 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

everyone feels thisway at one or more times in the hobby you just have to do what makes you happy. you have to ask yourself is it worth the money/ time tocare for corals.. or do you just want to look at fish and rock.. both canbe done beautifully.

for me every frustration is worth it. for in the end when things start to thrive and i find corals that like me i can sit back and go wow i did that/ grew that....theni kill or breaksomething and go through the emotions again lol

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 12-29-2011, 05:52 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Ya, I was there around 5 months into the hobby. Added first corals and things went nuts on me, was extremely frustrated but worked through it. Tank is only 9 mos old now but it looks great, IMHO....lol I only have a 55 no sump and there's lots I'd like to change, but I'm still learning and trying things out. Now I seem to have more issues with fish than corals! Hang in there, if you deal with the hassles up front, it's more enjoyable in the long run!! Gl!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

How long have you been at it?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Good point it seems common for certain corals to do well in certain tanks. Some trial and error is sometimes needed. That's after you make friends with stability.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:20 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

I ran a fish only for the first year, year and a half. But slowly the coral bug bites and you start filling in the tank. Next thing you know.....REEF.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
How long have you been at it?
Not long. Just enough to say it's cycled and add a few live things like snails, shrimp and a few softies. There's not a chance I'd dump the hobby altogether because I do love it. I'm just getting a bit discouraged from my SPS goal. I think all the dosing and special finicky corals that need ridiculously perfect water parameters and what not may be just too much for me right now. I still don't feel entirely confident of the whole reef system and how it's all supposed to fit together perfectly.

It's life too. Discussing a big life changing move (career and geographically) and having a child, showing my dogs, crazy family drama, a full time job with mandatory overtime. Ugh. Maybe I'm just being a downer.

I just want a nice beautiful living piece of art to come home to everyday and be confident in myself that everything will still be there the next day. I don't want to kill anything. Ever. Except maybe an ugly crab or the odd aptasia. I could probably do that much.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 PM

Maybe I'll just stick with slowly adding reef safe(r) fish and inverts and stay with the softies and get some LPS in time. I kind of feel like SPS is something you can't pull off with nothing but research and good intentions. Maybe it's better to take things slow and gain confidence with more hardy specimens for the first year or so in this hobby? amiright?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 PM

no_bs is on a distinguished road

Patience is a virtue in this hobby. It can take up to 2 years before it becomes "mature".
Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Ahhhh, tank envy,,, it's all about patience, the tank will go thru an ugly stage, could show you pics of mine in the beginning before it starts taking shape! I've been trying sps and some have done ok, some not. I read about dosing systems and am like WTF? I guess that's why taking this hobby slowly is so important, gives you time to learn, try things out. Stick with it, don't look for corals till your system is a bit older, enjoy the fish!

Sounds like lots going on in your world, take a deep breath and enjoy today! Chin up, boobs out..always good for a bit of a smile! (at the risk of all male replies.....)