Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road
Default Bristleworm debate

I was feeding the tank last night when I saw a Bristleworm pop out of the live rock. I would venture to guess it was about a 1/4" in width and had to be close to 6+ inch long. White in color, with hints of red and white bristles. In a short amount of reading last night about them I found just about every opinion one could have. Keep them, keep them only if there small, don't keep them. From the articles many said they are mainly scavengers, with only a few different species actively hunting. But all agreed that the larger they get the more of an issue they can be. Just wanted to see what others opinions are on the site about them, and if there have been any negative experiences with them. My concern is he has grown quite big in a small amount of time, and this is only in a 28G cube.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 09-29-2011, 02:51 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

This is a very controversial topic as must reefer will tell you that they are primarily scavengers. For the most part it's true. When my tank is getting feed that's when they are the most active even if its day time. I have also witnessed larger bristle worm take down large chucks of droppings from aquarium habitants on several occasions. I think the real question is how are those worm appeal to each individual reefer. I myself don't like them and if I have a chance to catch larger specimen I will do so, I do tend to leave the smaller ones alone 1. Because I can't get them. 2. They do clean up all the left over food. So my conclusion is; I don't like them especially when there are size of a garden snake, I will catch any of them if I can but I don't set up campaigns to eradicate every single worm in the tank which you are probably fighting a losing battle anyways.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the reply, I kind of have the same feelings. Not to mention they are absolutely hideous in my view. Since last night I have either seen another fairly large one, that or the original guy is much longer than I thought. I think I will try and get rid of him/them. Any idea on the best route to go on this? Im thinking trying to trap him would be the "easiest" method. How have others had success on this.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 09-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Snapped a pic of the little bugger. Sorry for the blur

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 09-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I like them. I have rarely heard of any issues with them in a reef tank. They like to eat poop... which not many other things out there do.

Here's how I think of it: If its larger than a couple inches, if I can... I'll take it out. I keep the smaller ones around.

As for getting him out... a trap is easy. But the good old plastic tongs and a quick hand are the fastest and easiest way to get him.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I leave the little ones alone as they've never seemed to harm anything. But there was a very large one in my bothers tanks which was killing snails and hermits. Not sure of the species but it was pink to red.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:07 PM

Again thanks for the advice. I just spent some time with a flashlight and I am amazed at how many I found. Most are small <1'" long and very thin. But that big bugger has got to go. Im going to gather some tools today for my hunting trip tonight

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Old 09-29-2011, 05:46 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blom View Post
Thanks for the reply, I kind of have the same feelings. Not to mention they are absolutely hideous in my view. Since last night I have either seen another fairly large one, that or the original guy is much longer than I thought. I think I will try and get rid of him/them. Any idea on the best route to go on this? Im thinking trying to trap him would be the "easiest" method. How have others had success on this.

The best way to get rid of them is with nylon stocking, wrap a piece of shrimp in the middle and leave it overnight. The little bristles that protects them will also be there demise, worms goes in but they dont come out.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
The best way to get rid of them is with nylon stocking, wrap a piece of shrimp in the middle and leave it overnight. The little bristles that protects them will also be there demise, worms goes in but they dont come out.
+1 for trap idea. I personally would be happy never to see another bristle. I have allergic reactions to them when I get nailed by one. So now I trap, physically remove and I also have a 6 line and a Banded coral shrimp
Old 09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I caught a large one (7" or so) in a bottle when I was trying to catch my cleaner shrimp before a red bug treatment. I was going to default to removing it but couldn't think of a good reason to so back in he went. I foolishly tossed it onto my favia which was left with a ton of bristles I also see my royal gramma from time-to-time with a full beard of the things.

I'd toss one if I ever had the chance again.