Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-23-2011, 04:08 PM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default Regal Tang + Other tang??

On my stocking list I had put the Regal that I already have, and either an Achiles or a Powder blue. I've been doing some reading since and found that the Regal is classified as peaceful, but the other 2 are aggressive. Both say to not put with other tangs. Anybody have good luch with either of these guys with a regal tang? In my first tank way back when, I had a regal and a powder blue, but they were both young.

If either of these tnags are a bad idea, are there any that would work well?

FYI, I'm running a 160 gallon... 48"*30"*26"

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 07-23-2011, 04:28 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
On my stocking list I had put the Regal that I already have, and either an Achiles or a Powder blue. I've been doing some reading since and found that the Regal is classified as peaceful, but the other 2 are aggressive. Both say to not put with other tangs. Anybody have good luch with either of these guys with a regal tang? In my first tank way back when, I had a regal and a powder blue, but they were both young.

If either of these tnags are a bad idea, are there any that would work well?

FYI, I'm running a 160 gallon... 48"*30"*26"
You have a four foot tanK?

In your reading you may have come across the fact that tangs are swimmers. They constantly swim from one end of the tank to the other. They need the length that longer tanks provide. 6 feet. If you observe thier behavious in a suitably sized tank compared to a four footer, it is obvious.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

Oh man... and I forgot my reef keeping lisence and tank registration in my other pants...

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 07-23-2011, 11:03 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
Oh man... and I forgot my reef keeping lisence and tank registration in my other pants...
Good one
Old 07-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I have a Regal, a Naso, 2 Yellows and a Powder Blue. The Regal is by far the most aggressive. The Naso won't look at any other tang. The PB is new and smaller, but not taking a lot of crap.
Both the Achilles and PB can be difficult, so ideally have one held at the store until you're sure it's eating well and keeping weight on.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Good one
Which part was good? The ignoring good advice part, or the sarcasm part?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:41 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

I do agree with the swimming room part but what can I say i have a regal, yellow, purple, powder blue, naso, sailfin, tommi. In my tank for the last year the regal is by far the most timid, the powder blue will thrash anything new in the tank including my arm. He bitten me quite a few times

360 Reef Tank
Old 07-24-2011, 03:44 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
You have a four foot tanK?

In your reading you may have come across the fact that tangs are swimmers. They constantly swim from one end of the tank to the other. They need the length that longer tanks provide. 6 feet. If you observe thier behavious in a suitably sized tank compared to a four footer, it is obvious.

its true especially with those two species the pb is a really hard fish to care for so like brad said put it on hold to make sure its healthy and eating, the achiles grows to be a fair size and really needs alot of swimming room plus is a tad bit aggressive but then again as are most tangs honestly wouldnt be the best choices but id take the pb over the achiles any day with the achiles you eventually have to sell or upgrade
Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
the regal is by far the most timid
Which goes to show that it's really hard to predict! Mine rules the tank Although the PB is new and a lot smaller, I suspect the tank dynamics to change as he grows.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Which goes to show that it's really hard to predict! Mine rules the tank Although the PB is new and a lot smaller, I suspect the tank dynamics to change as he grows.
Yeah my Regal will hide in the corals if someone new comes over

360 Reef Tank