Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road
Default Fish tank in condo

So I decided to get a larger tank for my condo but I am in need of some advice

My building is 6 years old and it has a wood frame structure. I am on the 2nd floor and I am a bit worried about weight, last thing I need is to get a phone call that my neighbor below me has a newly acquired fish tank. I have no idea how the support beams run, I emailed the condo board asking for more info and how much dead weight one spot can take. Now where I want the tank I highly doubt its a load bearing wall (separates my room and the rest of the apartment).

I want a 60" long tank to fill the void where my tv used to be. So without having to big of a tank and now worrying the dimensions I have come up with is 60x16x16 and I have calculated it at about 850-900 pounds once everything is in it, including sump and ATO tank.

The cube I have now weights about 400-450 but it is on a load bearing wall. but it is only being distributed on a 30x20 surface area.

Think I will be ok? planning on putting a DP on the tank late this month but I need some peace of mind first
Old 04-05-2011, 02:43 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

The best advice I can give you is to check with your condo board first.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 AM

Harpo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
The best advice I can give you is to check with your condo board first.

I second that motion!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 AM

Email has been sent out, just waiting to see what they have to say
Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 AM

steve fedyk is on a distinguished road

Most newer buildings are designed to hold 250 lbs per square foot, anywhere on the floor. If your wall you wont to put the tank on the outside of your place you should have no problems. Most condos are the same floor plan up and down, so if you put it next to the wall there should be a wall right below your wall.
If you build your own stand line it with rubber to catch any spills. Thats what I did and work pretty good.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Thanks, thats exactly what I have been thinking.

This system will be set up identical to my 60gal, in over 2 years I never had a flood. Only thing I need to consider is the volume of water that is in my overflow and making sure that it will fit into my sump once the pump turns off. Will be installing a check valve on the return again. And of course buying insurance this time. But I like the liner Idea, could always seal the bottom just in case though.

But I have been thinking tonight and might bump it down a foot to being another 48" long tank. Which will drop the weight down by about 150 pounds of dead weight. Plus t5 bulbs are more accessible
Old 04-05-2011, 12:41 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fedyk View Post
Most newer buildings are designed to hold 250 lbs per square foot, anywhere on the floor. If your wall you wont to put the tank on the outside of your place you should have no problems. Most condos are the same floor plan up and down, so if you put it next to the wall there should be a wall right below your wall.
If you build your own stand line it with rubber to catch any spills. Thats what I did and work pretty good.
Not sure if that's accurate, as far I know the typical load limits for residential is 40lbs/sqft. But this is based on room size, so if the room is 10' x 10' then it can safely support up to 4000lbs total. This is typically just a rule of thumb and more for the upper limit you should never exceed. For something more accurate you need to know the type, size, spacing and span of the floor joists as well as how they are supported. However a tank that size won't be a problem. If it was me I would also secure the stand into the wall at half load even if it's not load bearing, this will help distribute the load better.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Not sure if that's accurate, as far I know the typical load limits for residential is 40lbs/sqft. But this is based on room size, so if the room is 10' x 10' then it can safely support up to 4000lbs total. This is typically just a rule of thumb and more for the upper limit you should never exceed. For something more accurate you need to know the type, size, spacing and span of the floor joists as well as how they are supported. However a tank that size won't be a problem. If it was me I would also secure the stand into the wall at half load even if it's not load bearing, this will help distribute the load better.
is the 40lb rating for an "unsupported" span? I weight 230lbs and could stand in a space that one foot square with no flex in my floor but i have joists every 16 or 24" (whatever minimum code is).

I would also apply a sheet of 3/4" plywood to the bottom of the stand to distribute the wieight over the entire footprint vs. contact points of the legs. You could also oversize the stand (ie. make it 6" bigger on all sides of the tank) to reduce the lbs/sqft.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
is the 40lb rating for an "unsupported" span? I weight 230lbs and could stand in a space that one foot square with no flex in my floor but i have joists every 16 or 24" (whatever minimum code is).

I would also apply a sheet of 3/4" plywood to the bottom of the stand to distribute the wieight over the entire footprint vs. contact points of the legs. You could also oversize the stand (ie. make it 6" bigger on all sides of the tank) to reduce the lbs/sqft.
The 40lbs/sqft is based on room size and the total weight a given size room has to handle at a minimum. I also believe it's based on dead weight and not live weight.

If you have a solid floor the plywood isn't needed, but if you have tile or carpet it can be a good idea however it could make it harder to level. Typically I usually go with an extruded perimeter on the base which essentially does the same thing but it'll be more stable and easier to level.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM

toytech is on a distinguished road

Get about 6 of your freinds to stand in the spot your thinking about putting your tank , get the to bounce up and down on the floor and see if you can feel it move ( or if your bottom neibour ends up with a skylight ) . Also your condo board should be able to tell you how much weight the floor can handle , as well as if you are even alowed a tank that big .