Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 AM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default SPS... Too much green!

Hey kids! I've got a little but of a problem. Everything I but turns green! There's got to be a reason. I'll pick up a yellow colony.... Turns green. Blue frag... Green. purple frag... Green with purple tips. Why? There's got to be something too high, or too low. I dose several of the zeo products.... amino acids, coral vit., sponge power, Eisen (i.ve stopped thay one since it supposedly enhances green), pohls, kaliumidid, stylo pocci, the one for red (can't remember the name, and coral snow. All tested levels are good (ca 400, mg 1300, kh 8, phos o.o5, no3, no2 and nh3 all undetectable ). Any help would be appreciated.

On the briught side, my growth rates are crazy compared to what they once were... And everything used to be brown.... Green is WAY better than brown!

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 AM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

wow that's a crazy dose of additives haha.
maybe just rotate them and see what affects what?

how big is your tank, what kind/temp is the lighting?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Is it like an irridescent green or is it a through and through solid green? In theory, iron levels control green pigmentation in SPS, but it should look more like an irridescent green. So get a test kit for iron and see what it's at, it may give some insight. Post the result, this would some cool little research to see what is causing what.

Another possibility, though very unlikely, is uptake by your corals of a green-pigmented zooxanthellae clade that may be residing in your water column. Do you have a really green (naturally, not induced green) colony that could be spiting a green clade out into the water column? It's an out there idea but this is an out there kinda thing...
Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

My guess is that it was overdose of the Eisen.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM

es355lucille is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to es355lucille

+1 on the iron. I am not sure what Eisen is ...but if it inhances green it might have a lot of iron in it.

The guide to SPS coral coloration reads like this:

1. Yellows - Nitrate and Phospate needs to be low
2. Greens - Iron - overdose tends to cause darkening of tissues
3. Blues and some Purples - Potassium Iodide
4. Reds/Pinks and some Purples - Potassium (not potassium iodide)
5. Purples - Potassium Iodide/Potassium

This is just a guide that you can find on the internet. "Guide of SPS Coral Coloration".

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51996

Photobucket
Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Eisen is the German word for iron. Maybe save yourself some money and stop dosing any of that stuff for a week or two. See what happens. If it all turns brown again, slowly start dosing one of those ingredients at a time, if that's safe/feasible. I don't have a lot of SPS so I'm probably out to lunch, but a logical procedure you can document, like starting from scratch with the dosing, would seem like a good way to determine what's going on. None of our systems are identical, so in the end you'll likely end up having to figure this out on your own anyhow.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:54 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

+1 on the iron, I did have the same problem with eisen zeovit additive, after i stopped dosing iron for a few weeks everything started to change back, but it takes a bit for it to reverse back to the original state. Also I think either k or b balance enhances green but don't quote me on it, please read the label or go to the zeovit forum and post it for one of the zeoheads to figure out. If I were you I would just stop iron and wait a week or so and see if there is any changes, but be patient as it might take a bit for the colors to return. Good luck. Remember at least they are growing like crazy.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was thinking the same about the eisen (iron) which is why I stopped doing it. It's been about 3 weeks, maybe more, and I see no effect. I will however pick up a test kit and let you know what it says.

Thanks again.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 03-25-2011, 04:16 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

what is your dosing regiment?

sure sounds like overdosing. with kz products do not dose every day (pending the type). make a quick stop into the zeovit forum for better dosing advice
Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
Hey kids! I've got a little but of a problem. Everything I but turns green! There's got to be a reason. I'll pick up a yellow colony.... Turns green. Blue frag... Green. purple frag... Green with purple tips. Why? There's got to be something too high, or too low. I dose several of the zeo products.... amino acids, coral vit., sponge power, Eisen (i.ve stopped thay one since it supposedly enhances green), pohls, kaliumidid, stylo pocci, the one for red (can't remember the name, and coral snow. All tested levels are good (ca 400, mg 1300, kh 8, phos o.o5, no3, no2 and nh3 all undetectable ). Any help would be appreciated.

On the briught side, my growth rates are crazy compared to what they once were... And everything used to be brown.... Green is WAY better than brown!
HEHE, Green is better than BROWN!!!! I will trade you anyday, I have alot of rare and unique brown specimens. Beautiful Browns, great brown shades, browns you won't see in any tank or in the wild.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk