Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 PM

ScubaGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Algae Indentification and Help Please

So...my tank seems to have "the plague", at least that's what I've been calling it jokingly. However, it's not such a joke any more, it's spreading.

It is a thread-like red/brown algae that lays over the live rock and flows like a strand of my hair would in the water flow. Originally I thought it may be the mucous that the exquisite wrasse supposedly wraps itself in at night breaking down but it is clearly more than that.

I have treated 2x now for red slime/cyano and it has not affected these strands but did clear up a very small amount of slime that I had a rock in the back. That area is all gone now after the 2 treatments but these threads remain and have grown longer.

I have tried physically removing the strands. They do not feel like anything in my hand when I tear them off the rock. I cannot feel the texture in my hand so the strands are very thin and even delicate.

My skimmer is working overtime now after the red slime treatment and I can see some of these strands getting pulled out but there is still an issue.

I was using Instant Ocean salt and have now bought a bucket of SeaChem and I'm now mixing the 2 together 50/50. My magnesium has been really low and my calcium a bit low but I've been regularly dosing for both to try to bring them up and they are just shy of where they should be now. Water parameters otherwise are great. Nitrates and nitrites are 0, ammonia has been about 0.05, pH is 8, and alkalinity 8.

After the first treatment for red slime, I did a 40% water change. I have just finished the second treatment yesterday and skimmer has been running for about 12 hours now. I'm going to do another water change. How much do you guys suggest?

I just started preparing my water ahead of time. I was using tap water with no apparent issues previously. I still don't know if that is what has caused this particular algae issue but you have to be suspect. I'm also using vanquish now to treat the new water.

Can anyone identify this algae? I've googled it like crazy with no real luck so far. Has anyone ever had this issue before and what did you do/use to treat it? You can almost see it grow, it grows so fast and I'm getting worried. Please help, I appreciate any information you can offer.

A bit out of focus but you can still see the "thread"

This patch has just shown up on the glass 2 days ago and you can see how long some of the "threads" are already. One is probably a good 6 inches long already.

Some cascading down the rocks

Last edited by ScubaGirl; 03-22-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

That isn't red slime algae. I strongly suspect it might be dinoflagellates. Does it have little air bubbles attached to it? I can see in one of the photos it looks like it.

Best you can do is siphon it out, reduce your photoperiod and keep your alkalinity up and stable.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default algae

i agree with the dinoflagellates .according to algae: a problem solving guide,let it run it's course-discontinue water changes-boost alkalinaty with buffers or calcium reactor.use kaulwasser for top off water.use activated carbon.it sounds like you have new tank syndrome -in other words your tank hasn't been running for a few months.do not let snails eat this as it will probably kill them .and my advice to you is stop using h2ocean-i had serious breakouts of cyano in my reactors where i shouldn't have any at all
Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
That isn't red slime algae. I strongly suspect it might be dinoflagellates. Does it have little air bubbles attached to it? I can see in one of the photos it looks like it.

Best you can do is siphon it out, reduce your photoperiod and keep your alkalinity up and stable.

+1 looks like Dinos to me.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:12 AM

ScubaGirl is on a distinguished road

Sorry, this has to be quick. I'm heading out for a night shift. I'll be back on here tomorrow after I sleep.

My tank was mature with the previous owners (not sure exactly how long), then moved a block down to our house. It's been set up at our house for a year and 3 months at this point.

Yes, there are some areas with greyish/pale "fur" like areas with tiny bubbles attached. Not a lot though that I can see. We leave the back wall alone for the most part to try to encourage our urchin to eat that coraline algae rather than off the rocks.

The only thing new the tank recently is 1 fish and 9 corals. Tank is 75 gallons. Water was pristine 6 weeks ago.

CUC: astrea, turbo, and nassarius snails; sand sifting star fish; one conch; one tuxedo urchin; and one each cleaner shrimp and coral banded shrimp.

Again, thank you!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocus View Post
and my advice to you is stop using h2ocean-i had serious breakouts of cyano in my reactors where i shouldn't have any at all
she's not using H2Ocean
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 AM

staceyd72 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Yes, it does look like the start of Dinoflagellates, if I recall, it has little to do with ‘new tank syndrome’, or any particular salt but may be more as a result of seasonal changes,Reefkeeping Magazine, Aquarium Frontiers

Snails will not touch this, as it’s toxic to them, if you want to keep them you may want to transfer to another tank.

I fought it for three months; the first month was trying different things that were not working, like massive 50/70% water changes, lights out for extended periods, etc.
What I did was stop water changes, maintain pH at 8.4 with kalkwasser. I would also use a powerhead to blow it off the rocks and panes, while at the same time having a filter sock on the drain, which was replaced daily. I also set the skimmer to skim on the wet side. I can’t actually pinpoint what worked for me, but it went away after three months.

Don't add anymore Redslime remover, as it's not going to help. I would also not add any new livestock at this time. It will mostly likely overcrowd your corals also, so you will have to increase your husbandry.

I’m not sure how adventurous you are, but there is a thread on Reef Central where others are using Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) to help combat it

Oh, have a good night at work
Old 03-23-2011, 03:13 AM

Navarchus is on a distinguished road

What is your system PH?

I think it is Dino as well but it is a syndrome of accumulation of organic materials that are decomposing in your system. Usually behind and between the rocks, duo to inefficient water circulation and water flow.
One of the symptoms of it is the suppression of PH.

Adding buffer and trying to raise PH with out solving the problem I described will not solve the problem. You have to get rid of the source of the problem!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:59 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road
Default How to

Hot off the press.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...sons-i-learned
Old 03-23-2011, 03:41 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

OMG I thought i had cyano.... I HAVE DINOS NOOOOOOOOO. This sucks.
This is great just flippin great. rant rant rant rant

Thanks for the info about them.

Im so sad