Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 PM

janey is on a distinguished road
Default How should i clean my 10 gal tank RDSB which

Darn cat took it as a litter box... I took all the sand out and despose of it.

I poured bleach with water and letting it sit.. How/ what else can i do to get the urine smell out...????

Dont want to throw tank out , its a well custom built 10gal tank.

JANEY
Old 03-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

likely youll have to let it sit with water, then dump the water out and replace with fresh water. keep repeating this untill you get a zero reading with an ammonia test kit. dont let it sit too long with the bleach either, not good for the silicone or future fish.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Cranky When Wet is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Everything you ever want to know about Cat pee..... >:-)

Hiya Janey!

Greetings from the great white north country LOL! I'm about to blow the lid off a lot of carpet cleaning secrets....

Cat pee is a royal pain and once it's dried and crystalized it's murder to get out. However, as long as it's not deep down into concrete, you have a biological weapon!

Take a read at this link under specialty chemicals. It is possible to completely remove the odour with enzymes that eat urine/crystals! The process takes several days depending on humidity and temperature (cannot be very cold so enzymes live).

http://chemfaxproducts.com/chemfaxpr...s.html?CatId=9 Look for "Odour Out"

My old cat had done several numbers on my basement carpet when he became ill. I researched everywhere until I stumbled across this trade secret. Most "store" products are a very diluted version of this stuff and I've yet to come across anything that COMPLETELY removes the horror. A gallon runs around $75Canuk; but, it's the best money I've ever spent. The odour was gone and never came back!

A word of caution: ask them whether the silicone in your tank will still be viable after treatment. I cannot say whether other parts of this formula may leech out; but, they are in the chemical business and I'm guessing it's worth contacting them. Perhaps they have affiliates Stateside that would save big bucks on shipping a quart or gallon of product...

And to all cat, and dog, lovers out there.... it really freaking works!

Fuzzily yours,

Bunny
Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 PM

p.s. Forgot to mention that this company also has products for treating septic fields... head's up Grizz >:-)
Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky When Wet View Post
Hiya Janey!

Greetings from the great white north country LOL! I'm about to blow the lid off a lot of carpet cleaning secrets....

Cat pee is a royal pain and once it's dried and crystalized it's murder to get out. However, as long as it's not deep down into concrete, you have a biological weapon!

Take a read at this link under specialty chemicals. It is possible to completely remove the odour with enzymes that eat urine/crystals! The process takes several days depending on humidity and temperature (cannot be very cold so enzymes live).

http://chemfaxproducts.com/chemfaxpr...s.html?CatId=9 Look for "Odour Out"

My old cat had done several numbers on my basement carpet when he became ill. I researched everywhere until I stumbled across this trade secret. Most "store" products are a very diluted version of this stuff and I've yet to come across anything that COMPLETELY removes the horror. A gallon runs around $75Canuk; but, it's the best money I've ever spent. The odour was gone and never came back!

A word of caution: ask them whether the silicone in your tank will still be viable after treatment. I cannot say whether other parts of this formula may leech out; but, they are in the chemical business and I'm guessing it's worth contacting them. Perhaps they have affiliates Stateside that would save big bucks on shipping a quart or gallon of product...

And to all cat, and dog, lovers out there.... it really freaking works!

Fuzzily yours,

Bunny
um, thats great for carpets and all but I think leaving the pee in it is better than treating it with chemicals, esp if she wants to put fish in the tank afterwards.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
um, thats great for carpets and all but I think leaving the pee in it is better than treating it with chemicals, esp if she wants to put fish in the tank afterwards.

I'll look into this for my own edification. I'm curious whether micro-organisms that digest mould, mildew, urine and scat (and the suspension they are in) would render the silicon useless (or harm other life forms).... just in case my new cat decides to pee in a 200gal... stranger things have happened to pet owners LOL!

Do you think kitty P would simply dissolve/
dissipate
or just make for a little more ammonia or slightly, stinky salt creep?

Bunny >:-)

Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky When Wet View Post
p.s. Forgot to mention that this company also has products for treating septic fields... head's up Grizz >:-)
Thanks Bunny I will look into this.

You might have to cut out the inside corner beads of silicone and redo them. This should eliminate the possibility of chemicals that might have leeched into the silicone bead.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build

Last edited by The Grizz; 03-20-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 PM

Default Keeping it simple.... wah!!! too easy!!!

Hiya Grizz!

You're welcome re the idea... >:-) I remembered reading a thread re this topic...

And thank you for reminding me that silicone is easy to cut out and redo!!! Dang it... How do I miss the obvious LOL!

It's not for my tanks... but Janey has a smaller custom-made tank she'd like to save. Perhaps she can find a glazier (glass worker) who could run a few new beads for her.

Hey to 'round Red Deer and Pennsylvania too!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:03 AM

janey is on a distinguished road
Default Thank for the Info

Thank you Bunny

My cat had been peeing on my carpet and i had to rip it out. and GOD knows how many products i tried to get the smell gone..

I will be calling the company if i can use it in the tank.

PS This tank is my RDSB. I took it down to wash out the sand.. and i forgot to put a lid on top of it and Darn cat used it as a litter box.

JANEY

Last edited by janey; 03-22-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Welcome Janey :-)

It's worth a shot... and if not, I'm liking Grizz's advice to cut out old silicone and having it redone...

Yup, we love all our critters but they can sure be "difficult" sometimes,

Be happy,