Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough
Default Clam troubles

Just wondering how many of you all out there are having or have had clam troubles recently?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

nope, clams are all happy as, well, you know!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

heard lots of problems in Edmonton recently between 3 people at a lfs they have lots 46 clams or something. They are saying it is some parasite that came in with a new shipment or something like that. I have 11 and have only lost a clam to a filefish.

360 Reef Tank
Old 02-02-2011, 03:13 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

More then a couple here too, except the one I got from you Wes and ones from Globaldesigns.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 AM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

I've lost a couple over the last few months as you know. And now my teardrop maxima seems to be on the way out. Not sure why?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:20 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I've notice the clam incidents lately and have been keeping a close eye on mine. So far so good. I have not added any clams since last spring I think?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I've notice the clam incidents lately and have been keeping a close eye on mine. So far so good. I have not added any clams since last spring I think?
Ya but like I said before Kien you could make a rock grow

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

lost one last month, it had some small hyroid-y looking things on it. I think they irritated the mantle enough that it retracted and wasn't getting enough light. Anyways it croaked. Today I find another one with two aiptasia living inside the shell at one of the ends. I scraped them out with a needle and hopefully that will work, it had its mantle retracted too.

Probly not the info you're looking for but I've had a lot of caffeine

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
heard lots of problems in Edmonton recently between 3 people at a lfs they have lots 46 clams or something. They are saying it is some parasite that came in with a new shipment or something like that. I have 11 and have only lost a clam to a filefish.

yup heard the same thing that its a supposedly parasite came in on a shipment.....i know about a dozen people who lost clams recently some have lost quite a few and are asking the same questions. will we ever know??
Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

**sigh** Ill come clean, I may have possibly influcened this via a private message..

Wont name drop, but picked up a new clam off a fellow reefer.. well established 8" Squamosa.. here is the story (hums fresh prince while typing)

Time for story by picture...

Go to get clam at a gas station in NW, I meet him for pick up, put it into heatbox in car as its -40'c outside, at styrafoam box with heatpacks.. get home, check it, slightly pulled back, put lid on, put in tank floating to acclimate water..

acclimating and slowly adding water to get it used to my parameters... left lid on so I wouldnt shock it..

once lights are out, put it in tank, has no negative reactions (about 1.5hours in bucket).. check 2 hours later, still fine.. go to bed. Wake up.. look at it, still fine maybe even showing signs of returning to full extension.. go to work for 12 hours.. come home to this..

very very retracted into shell..

stuff spewing out the back...

its really pulled back and I can see stuff in its mouth up front that doesnt look happy.. checked parameters.. everything looks to be in check.. nothing else in the tank seems affected.. all the zoas are good, leathers are good with good polyp extension, sps is fine, frogspawn is happy and hammer is happy..
two more macro pictures..

mouth and its ejecting its intake of food which I understand is a shock reaction.. similar to some eating disorders humans suffer..

im new to clams but read alot.. I know its not supposed to go that far passed the mantel or its under lying tissue..

SOOOOO... checked tank, no param problems to be heard of..
Flow good..
Problem noted approx 12 hours after last known goodtime.. aka put in tank after purchase from another member..
Secretly watched fish from distance.. no one nipping or even going near it for that case..
Crabs only stay on the rock unless they fall.. I apparently bought the allergic to sand crabs.. its true, there is a grave yard to one side of tank of preworn shells..
Turned off daylight lamps and left only acitnic lights on incase this just light shock..

anything else you may know there fellow Clam gurus..

What do I do if anything!!