Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 PM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default Chugging vertex skimmer...?

My vertex in80 sounds like it's not sucking air as well as it should. It makes a chug chug chug sort of a sound... Almost like it's on and off on the suction. I've only had the skimmer for a few weeks now...and it was new. Any ideas? If I blow steadily into the air intake tube it sucks steadily and more foam seems to be produced.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 01-30-2011, 05:25 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Have you run the pump by itself to see how smoothly it's running? Check the pump intake and impeller when you have it out and ensure there isn't debris in there. Also check the air intake for any calcium buildup or dust. You'd be amazed at how little calcium in there can significantly affect air flow.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:20 AM

Thanks Tony... I'll check it out when I'm back in town.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

Old 01-31-2011, 06:34 AM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

take a cup of RO water, nuke it till it's hot and use a baster or if the airline is long enough let it suck it all up through the venturi.
if it's calcium that's caked on inside, u can dip the whole pump into a vinger solution for a while and let it dissolve any buildup that hot water won't do.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM

I do question if maybe some debris had got in there, but as I said, the skimmer is brand new, and only been running for 3-4 weeks. I'd be shocked and wondering what the hell is going in in my system if I have Ca caked on. I guess only time will tell though! Thanks guys.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Could just be dust or something like that. One of my skimmers is particularly prone to that, in that skimmer's case it's a combination of a higher air flow through a 1/4" line so the air velocity is higher than that on other skimmers and thus I have to give the intake a clean when I clean the rest of the skimmer about once a week.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:47 PM

loveless is on a distinguished road

check the muffler for restrictions. just got a bubble king that the muffler was assembled wrong and it was chugging as well.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Watch the water level in the sump and in the body of the skimmer. It might be changing in timing with the chugging.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436