Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Vancouver Island

Old 11-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Hotpants is on a distinguished road
Default Nanaimo

HI,

I am going to be setting up my saltwater tank soon. I was going to get the RO water from my grocery store, but I learned that stores will sometimes supplement minerals back in it. I'm not entirely sure they do this, all I know is that its gone through a RO filter and says its purified. Is this fine to use? Anyone have suggestions on where to find good water? Does anyone know any good stores in the Nanaimo-Parksville area?

Last edited by Hotpants; 11-19-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Cubeman is on a distinguished road

I've used the water from Save-On foods exclusively for over a year with no problems encountered with water parameters. I'm in Campbell River but I don't imagine the filtration system is any different in the Nanaimo store.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Sean is on a distinguished road

Iv been using safeway water from culligan and its been going good. It does get expensive and becomes more of a hassel when you want to clean the tank.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Save yourself alot of hassle and expense and get yourself a rodi unit. You are going to be going through ALOT of water in the future.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I took my TDS meter to a few stores and couldn't believe the TDS was higher or the same as what was coming out of the tap. There is a water store in the north end near the Brick that may be a bit better but I don't think they change the cartridges often enough at the local grocery stores for the amount of water they go through. Its fine for drinking but IMO, not good enough for SW fish tanks.

There are a lot of used RODI units for sale right now, you'd just have to replace a few filters and you'd be good to go. I spent a lot of time fighting various algaes suffering along with water from the grocery store before breaking down and buying my own RODI unit. I really wish I'd done it sooner as my tank totally turned around and has paid for itself over and over in my less frustration and increased appreciation of my tank

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 PM

Cubeman is on a distinguished road

I posted above about getting my water from Save-On for the last year and voila today my wife surprises me with a 4 stage ro/di from BWI, contacted right through this site! And I thought she never paid attention when I prattled incessantly about my tank.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:50 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubeman View Post
I posted above about getting my water from Save-On for the last year and voila today my wife surprises me with a 4 stage ro/di from BWI, contacted right through this site! And I thought she never paid attention when I prattled incessantly about my tank.
WOOT!!! One of my best investments!