Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-15-2010, 09:39 PM

jostafew is on a distinguished road
Question Is this normal for a Sharknose Goby?

Hey everyone! I just got a new Sharknose Goby that I've been waiting a couple months for, and now that it's been in quarantine for a couple days and moved close enough to take pictures of I see something goofy with its mouth; it looks like it's gaping way open and its gills are spread way open! The mouth never really closes, it just hangs open while it breathes. I'm a little concerned that either it's damaged somehow (and I should be taking it back to the store) or somehow it's gaping for lack of oxygen in the water?

Anyway, I got a few good shots of it so please let me know if it looks odd!

Thanks in advance

Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

WOW. I don't know if it is a "problem"... but I have personally never seen one that looked like that.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Is it one of those "captive bred/tank raised/etc" ones? Sort of looks like a malformed jaw to me. It sometimes happens when rearing fish in large batches and is usually due to water/egg quality. If its gotten this far and can still eat its likely fine.

If you're worried about it I would definitely take it back, esp if you haven't seen it eat yet. Its hard to tell but its gills and area on its stomach look kind of inflamed, that could be normal too as they have pretty thin skin in those areas.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If it's already in the QT I would bring the salinity down with a refractometer and treat using hyposalinity. His gills looks awfully inflamed and irritated, so I would be suspect of parasites on the gills. Flukes, Ich....could be a number of ickies. If it's Isopods you would need to do a freshwater dip, but that's hard on them.

Is this fish from ORA?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-15-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 AM

jostafew is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I know the gills look very inflamed but I believe that is due more to the camera's flash than anything. Under normal lighting I don't see the redness that's there with the camera flash or pointing a flashlight right at it. That being said I will certainly consider dropping the salinity (slowly of course) but I will have to do some planning as the QT tank is being shared by this fish and a few coral frags that arrived about a week ahead of it. I got impatient and am quarantining two things at once.... guess it's better than no QT!

I picked it up Friday and began offering food (very small pcs of frozen mysis shrimp & cyclopeez) twice a day and have yet to see it eat, so that's better than 3 days and no sign of an appetite.

I was wondering about the malformed jaw myself. I'm not sure of it's origin except that I got it from the last batch to hit J&L Aquatics last week. I've got an email out to them to see what they have to say about it, but I am certainly considered taking it back. I am hoping they will agree that there is something wrong and it should come back in.

Last edited by jostafew; 11-16-2010 at 05:13 AM.