Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 PM

nemodad is on a distinguished road
Default Live rock confusion

Hi all,

Need some advice please.
I'm a bit confused with the concept of cycling with "Cured" live rock.

I see alot of articles referring to using "uncured" live rock for a cycle so the die off of orgamisms cause the ammonia spike and start the cycle.
Makes sense to me!

My situation is.. I bought 32 lbs of cured totoka rock for a 38 gallon from a LFS,they wrapped it in wet newspaper and i had it in the tank within 1hr MAX.

It's been 10 days now and i have yet to see any sign of Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate.

According to alot of articles on the web.. once i see these readings the tank should be ready for the clean up crew???

So why do i have to wait a month?? Shouldn't i add some live stock so there is a source of ammonia and the Beneficial bacteria can multiple slowly to the demand?

One person told me the tank cycled already, another says "no way!" not ready.

I'm really confused!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road

if the rock is already cured, that means it's already cycled and you won't see the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite spike because nothing is dying off (though there may have been a small amount of die off in transport from LFS to home, but nothing large scale) IMO/E anyways.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:34 PM

So should i add something to create an ammonia source?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:36 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

In a way it t and isn't lol so ok since you have cured rock you may not see much of a cycle since die off was minimal now wth cured rock your gonna want to add an amonia soure ie. Fish.

Most use blue damsels because of their hardyness bt with your tank going for a month you could add clowns. Don't keep adding rock to your system add it at once if possible or very small amounts over weeks. After your fish are there for one week take a test... Do it yourself don't trust lfs tests in another week do another test , you prob won't see much if any amonia but you should see a small rise in nitrates. Now your finished the first part of your cycle now you can add clean up crew make sure you get some shrimp I prefer cleaner shrimp because of their benifits. Give your clean up crew 2 weeks to do their job less time for small aquariums under 50g. Do another tst then do a large water change 30-50% .wAit a couple days then you can add your first fish, as I would rcommend ditching the damsels I would let your sysem stabilize for a few months before adding any more fish untill your system stabilizes. You can add coral as soon as your clean up crew is done. But make sure amonia is 100% not present cheers
Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

ive read ppl dropping in a rw shrimp into the tank andlet it rot tokick start the cycle. rather than using i live fish and havingthem suffer through the spike.

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

People do ndeed use rotting food for amonia but with using cured rock your fish would be fine If you pick "cycling fish" I won't comment on the benifits or not of using food as I have always done live cycles but I've read it works fine
Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 PM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

Cycling a tank refers to the creation of an active nitrogen cycle. Often when using cured live rock you will have a soft cycle or instant cycle. Your tank may be cycled but this does not mean your tank is fully established. It will take a while for your tank to fully establish itself so don't rush things.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 PM

Yes not rushing all, just thinking if i add something in there at least the bacteria will multiply to cope better, instead of leaving it as it is.

I'm tempted to try the damsel, thing is i will want to keep it later and i don't know if they get along too well with Clowns.

Hate stressing the fish out by bring it back to the store, where it will probably die.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Hello, I see by your posts that you are new, so WELCOME!!!

If you bought cured live rock, then when you add it, your cycle will most likely be very minimal. You will get some die off, when you take it from one tank to another, say if you buy from your local fish store. But this die off will most likely be very small, compared to uncured rock.

So, you don't need to add anything... set things up, let it go throw whatever cycle it does, and then you can look at adding things.

Personally even with cured rock, the key to success with Salt Water is patience. If it was me, I would let it cycle, even if it is short, but still wait 1-2 months until I buy any fish. You can however buy some clean-up crew after the cycle.

Have fun!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i dont know about rotton food but i do a few "ghost feeds" to help the cycle along..

ghost feeding is just feeding an empty tank frozen food.. for those who dont know..

as a rule i wait 6 weeks minimum when starting a new tank before adding any ls
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.