Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough
Default dear journal,here we go again-200g build: to be continued.....on to new dreams:)

well its been decided im shuttin it down and startin it up,im buyin another tank then im dropping my other 4 tanks selling it all but my skimmer,pump and some coral and starting on the tank ive been wanting since the beginning i never like the look of rectangle tanks and i hate being limited for space and especially view.the plan is still early in the makings but a tank design has been chosen and the spot has been picked i am selling my 110reef and 33gmixed reef and 20mantis tank and 120g oscar tank plus all thats with it to fund this little project the tank i have chosen is going to be 48x42x20 and is going to go in my dining room as i dont have a dining room table anyways lol its going to be roughly 150gals the exact dimensions are still being worked on,i went this direction so i can walk right around the whole tank,should be easy to maintain with lots more places for corals and dedicated areas.i am going to have the tank custom made with a trimless top and beveled and polished edges.my sump will also be custom made to include a large refuge and fragtank, another bonus with all the room underneatheim really undecided on lights reactors dosers etc as ive always bought second hand or done without

the tank is going to have a section roughly a quarter of the tank floor boxed out just for my snowflake eel as his appetite for delicates is getting bigger its going to be made from acrylic drilled with many holes and removeable for any reason necessary.

the tank is going to have a coast to coast overflow with three return lines and three drain lines, two return's for the tank and one for the eel's den,the eels den will be built onto the overflow.im still looking for suggestions on if i should have more return lines to the farther corners where it will be 36" wide , or leave it at two from the back?? trying to stay away from powerheads for a bit anyways

im awaiting some quotes this week for my tank and in the meantime i will be going into my basement to build a loadbearing wall,and posting a for sale add for my fish and coral, im going to be keeping a few items as i cant bring my self to sell it all especially my zoas and carpet plus ill be keeping my puffer,eel and cinn clowns

wish me luck and hopefully ill have an answer about my tank this week cheers

Last edited by reefwars; 01-31-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 AM
R.I.P.

heres a pic of the spot in my living room where the tank is going it holds my 33g now but soon it will be the only tank in the house

Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 AM
R.I.P.

im going to be looking for help and suggestions from you guys on designing my sump and using up the space i have down there as best as possible plus im looking for suggestions for lighting,also on other things i should add like reactors.i want to have a large refuge plus ill be having a frag tank also.im going to be keeping my skimmer a vertex in-sump 180 and my mag 12 the rest is from scratch so all or any suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 04:01 PM

ALang is on a distinguished road

Wow! Ambitious project, Reefwars. I wish you luck and will be checking your posts for you journey. Wish I can get mine going soon. That lottery ticket just won't do its job!! I love this hobby! Lenny.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 PM
R.I.P.

thanks lenny, im really excxited and happy plus it will be alot easier and cheaper with one tank its going to be all new too not much being bought second hand and i want it to be as modern as possible with everything running automated and controlled by controller or pc im going to be spending alot to get a nice light and have my sump running with everything i can think of.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

pmed

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 PM
R.I.P.

hey guys so ive been thinking about the lights for my new tank really undecided on what i want. i have 4' of square space to light up at 20" deep the livestock is going to be mostly zoas and lps and clams i will have some anemones in there maybe some sps depending on what kind

what are my best choices for lights im going to be buying new and ive never bought new lights before lol i want to get something with moonlights and id like to stay with halides but the times they are a changin so someone pls sell me on something else thanks guys
Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM
R.I.P.

Got one quote in waitng for another To compare also got my tanks for sale and sold about 75% of my livestock yesterday hopfully I'll have something to take pics of soon but wanted to keep you updated

I have also decided to go with the centeroverflow to gain a little more viewing space and hide everything
Old 09-17-2010, 01:19 AM
R.I.P.

well the first step is done i have most of my stuff sold and my main display went out the door today i have a 50g tank which was my sump from my 110 mixed reef and i have my rock im keeping plus some fish and coral they will be stored in there untill dec-jan im hoping anyways lol
Old 09-25-2010, 08:05 PM
R.I.P.

finally got my first payment of two made for my tank, and it will be finished in one month, tomorrow i build two load bearing walls under my floor to support the weight then i can start to build my stand.the plan is to frame and ply the stand then im going to be doing a drystack stone similar to fishoholic's beautiful tank ,thanks laurie hope your not mad im stealing your stand design lol.afterwards it will be a granite top with a cut out of the tank in the middle where it will sit on 3/4" plywood and 2" s&m styrofoam thanks