Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad
Default pH too low questions...

So my pH seems to be low as some people have pointed out. I use RO/DI water and im guessing that is contributing to it being low.

I just went out and bought some reef buffer and KH test kit.

From my understanding i can get it to 8.3 with this stuff. But i dont want to be always dosing this if there is an underlying problem.

Am I missing something? I have alot of surface water agitation (two tunze 6105s pointed upwards so they are making some nice waves). I also heard i need to put air into the water but doesnt my skimmer do that?

Is this just a step i should be taking to get it to > 8 and it should hold itself?

I feel like im missing something... Someone in vancouver needs to come check out my system and make sure i havent done something stupid!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

did you calibrate your probe using both ph7 and 10 solutions?
are you running a ca reactor?
what is your Alk at?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM

I didnt calibrate my probe but it was new in a box with a end that had fluid in it already and the instructions didnt say anything about calibrating it, just said never let it out of water.

Im not running CA reactor yet (almost got it ready to put in though)

I just bought alk test kit so ill test tonight and see whats up.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

You need to calibrate that pH probe before you do anything based upon what it says.

In addition, I think your plan to move your pH upward is dangerous. The additive you are looking at will alter your Ca/Alk balance by raising Alk. That is something that can cause a lot more problems than low pH.

Given you aren't running your Ca reactor yet, I suspect that you don't have a seriously low pH problem anyway.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM

well the calc reactor was about to go in this weekend but i heard they lower the ph because of all the co2 you gota pump into them. now im going to have to put that on the back burner.

Last edited by Milad; 07-14-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Megalodon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Megalodon

If your kH and calcium balance is OK, I wouldn't worry as much about pH, as it really comes down to CO2 at that point. CO2 levels go up at night and thus the pH falls. I also noticed the deeper I place the pH probe, the lower the pH is, so keep that in mind.

As for using that buffer, it's not the best idea to use it until you know your alk and calcium levels. To a lesser extent also magnesium.

Since you're putting the calcium reactor on hold, instead of that pH buffer, I would actually recommend to you a two-part. Kent makes a decent one IMO. There's part A and part B, both in liquid forms, added to different parts of the tank, or at different times, always in equal amounts.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/k-...+-+64+oz..html

If low pH is still a concern, you could also drip limewater (kalk) at night and/or have a reverse lighting refuge with algae.

Last edited by Megalodon; 07-14-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
did you calibrate your probe using both ph7 and 10 solutions?
are you running a ca reactor?
what is your Alk at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
If your kH and calcium balance is OK, I wouldn't worry as much about pH, as it really comes down to CO2 at that point. CO2 levels go up at night and thus the pH falls. I also noticed the deeper I place the pH probe, the lower the pH is, so keep that in mind.

As for using that buffer, it's not the best idea to use it until you know your alk and calcium levels. To a lesser extent also magnesium.

Since you're putting the calcium reactor on hold, instead of that pH buffer, I would actually recommend to you a two-part. Kent makes a decent one IMO. There's part A and part B, both in liquid forms, added to different parts of the tank, or at different times, always in equal amounts. You could also consider dripping lime at night.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/k-...+-+64+oz..html
ill go return the ph buffer and try this two part and see what happens.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Yes i would suspect that it is just a calibration issue. Also how heavy is your sps load? you may not even need a Calcium reactor. You may want to concider dosing Kakwasser or 2 Part. If you go the Calcium reactor route you will want to get a second PH probe for your Apex.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM

Megalodon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
ill go return the ph buffer and try this two part and see what happens.
Cool, and then focus on maintaining your alk/calcium balance, so get a calcium test kit too.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
Yes i would suspect that it is just a calibration issue. Also how heavy is your sps load? you may not even need a Calcium reactor. You may want to concider dosing Kakwasser or 2 Part. If you go the Calcium reactor route you will want to get a second PH probe for your Apex.

I Already have calc reactor and ph probe on it so its ready to go, just need to get a refill on cylinder and new solenoid.

my sps load isnt really heavy i dont think, one big (8" round) birds nest and a hand full of frags, maybe 5 or so.