Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road
Default Ande's 270'ish bar peninsula style tank build

Well I've been thinking about this for a long time and hopefully it won't take as long as the thinking part. But there is no rush as I want this done right. I've been collecting equipment for this for awhile so I won't have to sit there and stare at an empty tank for to long. Some equipment from my 150g with also be used (mostly because some stuff I bought for this build I just couldn't wait to use ) The dimensions are going to be 72"L X 36"W X 25"H roughly. Its going to be a peninsula style, viewable from 3 sides and bar style. I'm thinking of going with the beananimal style overflow as I want something silent as it's going in the main entertainment area. My 150g is in that area right now so I will have to sell it off before this goes in there. For water movement I'm stuck between doing a closed loop or using power heads such as MP40's. One isn't much cheaper than the other, but comes down to one main thing which I want to change with this set-up - be power consumption conscious ! As I get older I'm really becoming more green thoughtful

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.

Last edited by andestang; 05-31-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to this...I'm doing a peninsula as well and my dimensions are similar to yours. Maybe if you go into Elite aquatics...they may let you look at the tank they're building me right now.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Nice size! I wish I had more width. I'm pretty happy with the height of my tank, but 36"!!!! Wow! I think closed loop or another option is the hidden Tunze Stream compartment. I've got design ideas in my mind on those. I hate the look of any visible equipment in my tank. There's also the hidden vortech compartment idea as well. Go hidden, you won't regret it! The only piece of equipment visible is the 90' elbow that goes back and forth at one end of my tank - and I don't even like that! It blocks light as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:58 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Oh this is sounds like it'll be an awesome build!

Vortech will give you greater variability in flow over the closed loop so it probably would be best to go with that (and power wise as you said).

36 front to back IS awesome! I love 30" front to back on my largest tank right now... 36 would be just sweet!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Here's one of my first DIY projects as I love to build stuff. A water mixing station has been on my list of things to do regardless of an upgrade. I will change out the cans later with something a little more heavy duty, but to this point they have served me well. I have some heavy duty ones I use for our horses that I might have to steal later. I'll show a completed pic when its done.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:19 PM

Right now I'm leaning towards the MP's as I have a new 40 ES laying around. I'll try it on the 150g to see if I like it enough. And yes I don't like equipment in sight either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Nice size! I wish I had more width. I'm pretty happy with the height of my tank, but 36"!!!! Wow! I think closed loop or another option is the hidden Tunze Stream compartment. I've got design ideas in my mind on those. I hate the look of any visible equipment in my tank. There's also the hidden vortech compartment idea as well. Go hidden, you won't regret it! The only piece of equipment visible is the 90' elbow that goes back and forth at one end of my tank - and I don't even like that! It blocks light as well.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Tagging along, can't wait to see this one progress

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Sounds like its gonna be killer Mike!.......not so patiently waiting
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

36" is so sweet man. I'll be following along!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

And while I'm thinking about it...you're Mike. What's with the Ande?