Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Default Help! Sick fish!!

Picked up a melanurus wrasse last Friday (Mar 5) it arrived at the store on Wed (Mar 3). Ate right away and ate up until Monday night. Tuesday it was back to eating but by Wednesday it was doing this funky aim at the bottom glass and shimmy its mouth along the bottom glass thing. I thought it was odd but thought maybe there were some goodies in the detritus or it was wondering why there was no sandbed.

Wednesday night I could clearly see it was having swimming problems. It was mostly hiding under the rocks "resting" but was making an effort to swim but was losing its side to side motions. I turned off all the pumps except for the return pump (about 2200gph) and a tunze 6045 and left him. I'd previously had a female die within 48 hours of getting it home so I figured this one was going to do the same.

This morning I expected to find a body out front and center of the tank or at least under the rocks. Couldn't see one, lights weren't on yet. This afternoon I come home and there he is, still trying to swim but its almost like he's trying but his body isn't responding and he's tiring out.

Is it cyanide? Bacterial? Should I try treating him? For what? I have some maracyn two I think and I can race out to the fish store to hopefully find whatever is suggested. I just have this feeling that well, if he's not dead yet, there must be something I can do.

Any help appreciated!!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:33 AM

tlo is on a distinguished road

very odd, I have no suggestions other than quarantine and you could try lowering the salinaty for him. But this will give the thread a bump anyways.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Are you feeding it dry food?
How deep is your sand bed?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Staff

Don't have a sandbed. I feed frozen mysis and frozen spirulina brine shrimp as well as nori.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Don't have a sandbed. I feed frozen mysis and frozen spirulina brine shrimp as well as nori.
If it is not a serious bladder problem which is difficult to cure it may be one of the following.

If you are feeding dry food, like nori without first wetting it, it may cause the fish to be bound. You can correct the problem by feeding her some peas and she will poop the dry stuff out.

Every night this wrasse and many others go to bed. It snuggles itself deep in the protective fine sand bed to sleep and protect itself if threatened during the day. By +doing this funky aim at the bottom glass and shimmy its mouth along the bottom glass thing+, he may be trying to tell you something.
I hope she recovers.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

It may have injured itself trying to bury into the sandbed that isnt there.

Both of my pencil wrasses killed themselves trying to bury .. when there was nothing to bury in.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:42 AM
Staff

This fish has never eaten nori, the only fish that eats it is the regal tang. He chows it down before any of the other fish even know it is in the tank. I just like watching him eat it

Yeah I was wondering if maybe the shimmy was looking for a sandbed. I'm wondering if maybe I need to invest in some biopellets and add some sand in the back forty for him.

I've had two other melanurus wrasses over the years, one acclimated to no sandbed, the other came from a tank with a sandbed to my bare bottom one with no problems at all.

Well here's hoping its not his swim bladder. That would certainly suck

My 180 Build

Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
It may have injured itself trying to bury into the sandbed that isnt there.

Both of my pencil wrasses killed themselves trying to bury .. when there was nothing to bury in.

If he did its on the inside, theres no damage on the outside for the most part. He did come with a small abrasion on his side but it looks to be healing to me.

My 180 Build

Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 AM

Unless it is too late you can slowly pour two inches of fine sand in a say one square foot area near where she is hiding. If she is healthy enough she will dive in. Good Luck
Old 03-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Staff

Too late tonight but I can get some tomorrow. Hopefully he's still ok tomorrow. He seems sort of "peppy" this evening. Its as if nothing was wrong except for the crappy steering and occasional "rest" periods

My 180 Build