Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road
Default Water Changes When Nitrates consistently read zero?

Im just wondering about this topic since Ive been testing my water and I have almost no nitrates whatsoever even after like 3-4 weeks of not changing my water. It seems like my chaeto and DSB seem to be taking care of my Nitrates.

So this makes me wonder - are there any reefers who don't do water changes very often if at all? It seems like dosing, topping off evaporated water etc is enough but has anyone ever run an aquarium for an extended version without adding more fresh salt water?

Im sure some trace elements would eventually go real low, once we dont dose for, but what if we dosed everything? Just trying to have a discussion, Im not going to go and do this, but just wondering if anyone else has?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM

TheKid is on a distinguished road

What is DSB

~*~*Stefan*~*~
Formally known as Svaningen
35 gallon Red Sea Max
Only 16 years old!!!!
CALL AFTER 3:00 ON WEEKDAYS. 604 782 3313
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaningen View Post
What is DSB
Deep Sand Bed
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I do water changes and rather than stocking/figuring/testing etc of water trace elements to replace, rely on a simple water change.

DSB=deep sand bed
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

There are some people who don't do waterchanges and dose everything. I like to think that waterchanges are like a breath of fresh air for the fish.

Life would suck if you were in a room full of people and you couldn't open a window now and then

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
I like to think that waterchanges are like a breath of fresh air for the fish.
+1 - this is in fact a really good analogy!! Even with zero nitrates there is still benefit to water changes - I find no matter how well I might think a tank is looking - I find the day after a water change it always looks better. Always. Even smallish water changes seem to give a tank a lift. One could probably explain it away with things like there is still stuff taken out that should be taken out, that isn't as easily measurable as say nitrate or phosphate - and there is stuff replenished that should be replenished, that isn't as easily measurable as say Ca, Alk, Mg, or K .. some people call it "trace elements" but I think it actually goes beyond that.

Heard this rule of thumb recently called the "two times five equals success" - basically meaning 5% water changes twice per week. Something I might give a try at some point myself (right now I'm on the "10% per week" plan).
Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Heard this rule of thumb recently called the "two times five equals success" - basically meaning 5% water changes twice per week. Something I might give a try at some point myself (right now I'm on the "10% per week" plan).
Yeah that was on reefbuilders last week. Ten minute waterchange my arse...

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Depends on the size of tank I suppose. I can do a ~6g water change in my 40g in about that amount of time, less if I don't try to OCDishly vaccuum all the rock poo out of all the nooks and crannies. The larger tank takes longer, mostly it's the time it takes to move the requisite water volume through a 5/8" hose 3 times (once to remove from tank, once to put new water in, and once again to empty the rubbermaid with the dirty water into the drain). And that's without trying the siphon the sand.. which I probably should, but I don't, because it's too hard.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Water changes are a bit of my own made hassle as when I do them, I siphon out ~15g from the display to get the detritus that collects in the corners of my BB and the remaining 10g from my basement sump/fuge.

If I just did water change from the sump only, it could be a 5-10 minute job. Other than leaving the sediment in the display (which really isn't that much) any negatives. It would save me from having bring upstairs the waste barrel and dolly, carting the 15g to the main floor bathroom tub, clean up, etc.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I just read an article by Dr. Dieter Brockman who says:

Quote: "It is the experience of many aquarists that a change of between 10 and 20 per cent of the water per month is optimal for reef aquariums; higher percentages are, in my opinion, counterproductive. For fish-only tanks, the percentage can be significantly higher, up to 50 percent per month. Partial water changes that go beyond this limit for reef aquariums endanger the system's stability and increase algal growth. For any aquarium system, small and frequent partial water changes are also preferable to a single large one per month: Small volume changes are less hard on the chemical parameters of the system. The current approach to my 220-gallon tank is to replace 12 percent (aproximately 25 gallons) per month, divided into four weekly changes of roughly 6 gallons.