Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down QT tanks. Seriously, WTF??

So I come home from vacation Saturday and my tailspot wrasse has popeye. My tanksitter says he was googly eyed Thurs, ate Friday but didn't eat on Saturday. Sunday morning I race off to get some maracyn (suggested by wetwebmedia) I fish him out of the tank to treat him in a QT on Sunday. Wake up to a dead fish this am

I don't think I've ever successfully treated a fish in a QT tank, ever. Not that I've done it that much. I usually don't have much success in actually seeing the problem, finding the fish, getting him out of the tank into the QT but the few times I have, they ALWAYS die!!

Is it just me? do QTs really suck? How big of a tank should I be using?

Ugh, so frustrating. I LOVED that fish. And how the hell did he get popeye in the first place??? Arggghhhh!!!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
So I come home from vacation Saturday and my tailspot wrasse has popeye. My tanksitter says he was googly eyed Thurs, ate Friday but didn't eat on Saturday. Sunday morning I race off to get some maracyn (suggested by wetwebmedia) I fish him out of the tank to treat him in a QT on Sunday. Wake up to a dead fish this am

I don't think I've ever successfully treated a fish in a QT tank, ever. Not that I've done it that much. I usually don't have much success in actually seeing the problem, finding the fish, getting him out of the tank into the QT but the few times I have, they ALWAYS die!!

Ugh, so frustrating. I LOVED that fish. And how the hell did he get popeye in the first place??? Arggghhhh!!!
I have never lost a fish in a quarantine tank...but then again if they have health issues once they are placed in the display they are on their own so maybe I haven't lost a fish in quarantine becausee they start out basically healthy

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 PM

targa81 is on a distinguished road

I've had the same experience with fish dying when you remove them from the display tank. I think that when they are already sick and you add the stress of catching and removing them that finishes them off. I've found QT most useful with new arrivals to prevent others from getting sick. My fish occasionally get Ich and my Blueface had ane eye infection but both instances were cleared up by attention to water quality and maybe my UV.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:57 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I don't quarantine anything... and must say that I haven't had any real issues. I guess I am just lucky.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

IMO removing a sick fish from the DT is not a bad idea. Firstly it may stop the spread of illness to other fish. Secondly, the ailing fish will probably get picked on by others. Thirdly, if the fish is ill it is already stressed, and at least by placing it in a QT you can treat it appropriately.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

QT'ing is one of those religeous debates. Some swear by them some swear against them. If we polled we'd probably find it a 50/50 debate. QT'ing has never worked for me for any illnesses I've contracted so I gave up on it years ago..

A few years ago I used to have yellow striped snapper that swam very quickly round and round the tank. He would actually swim very close to rocks and my urchin. One day He got popeye, I suspected that he hit his eye on something, like maybe the urchin or a rock and it got infected. I left him in there. No one else got it. His eye eventually fell out and he lived with one eye for a year until he outgrew my tank and I sold him. One eye Willy is still alive and well in a buddy's predator tank.

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quarantines can be useful for new purchases to help them adapt to aquarium life and allow for initial observation to prevent disease and pests from entering the display. However the quarantine still needs to be of adequate size for whatever species and fully established, meaning it runs all the time and not just setup when you need it. Removing fish from the display to a quarantine should be a last resort.

Popeye is not usually a killer, more than likely the stress involved caused the fish not to eat and then moving it put the stress level over the top resulting in death. I've seen popeye many times, I just leave it alone. More often than not the fish recovers completely, worst case is they loose vision in the one eye but still survive, very rarely do I see a fish die from it and if this is the case it's usually a result from no longer being able to compete for food with the new disability.

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post

That sucks to hear about your bad luck. I set up a quarantine tank a while ago, and happy I did as some fish have gotten sick in the quarantine tank prior to going into the display. If the quarantine tank isn't set up appropriately, they can be worse than the display tank. You should use a tank of at least 20% of the size of your display tank. So, if you've got a 100 gallon tank, you should have a quarantine tank of at least 20 gallons.
There definitely is stress on the fish when you remove them from the main tank and into the quarantine, but better the one fish dies than all the fish in your main system.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I have tempted fate by not quarantining new additions but have been fortunate so far. Haven't added anything in quite some time now, so figure I'm safe. However, one of the first inhabitants of my system over two and a half years ago has recently developed two bulbous, cancerous looking growths on his caudal fin, close to where it merges into the body. Started as one little ball now there are two fairly large growths. It's a Blue Devil Damsel, despised by many but supposedly very hardy. I've always liked the electric blue colour and despite his occasional aggression, I never had any real problems with him. Most of his tank mates now outmuscle him anyhow, so he's not much of a problem at all.

So what do I do with this guy? Although I have the equipment to set up a QT, I highly doubt I can catch him so it's unlikely I'll be able to quarantine him anyway. Really don't relish the idea of tearing the rockwork apart to try and capture the dude. Other than these ugly growths on the fin, he acts perfectly normal, eats well, swims well, no behavioural changes whatsoever since he's developed this disease. I am somewhat concerned that whatever he has may end up infecting other fish, but so far no sign of that either.

Last edited by mike31154; 10-26-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:03 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I don't have a QY+TR either. Just lost 5 fish due to an Ick outbreak in one tank, and possibly the same in the other?? 5 fish in one tank, 1 in the other, and a 2nd came down with white spots (regal Tang) but the spots have dissapeared. I dunno if a QT tank would have helped? I too agree on the added stress of catching(which can be stress on owner too) and the new tank. Is not the best for the fish. Making the present aquarium as peacefull as can be, removing bullies, lights out, etc. Problem is treating with chemicals in a DT. I am soo petrified of killing my inverts and corals too, that I don't use anything.

Umm, a tank or 5