Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-23-2009, 05:18 AM

Aguabonita is on a distinguished road
Default Rookie seeking advice on marine references

Hi all,
I'm a longtime freshwater keeper that will be making the plunge into saltwater early next year in a new house (or at least new to us). I have some time to plan and would appreciate some advice on the best text/s for setting up and maintaining a mixed saltwater aquarium that primarily contains invertebrates.

Thanks for your help.

Dean
Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

Dean, welcome to Canreef Dean

You will likely get more replies to a question like this if you post in the "Reef" section. I learned a lot by reading the articles in the archives/reference section on Canreef. Another great source of information is the site http://www.reefcentral.com/ They are US based forum--they have a "reefkeeping magazine" with some great up to date information. I have a few books at home you are welcome to borrow-some are out of date though.

Kelly
(that lady with the seahorses, )

Last edited by sharuq1; 09-23-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Hi Dean and welcome to Canreef!!

As Kelly mentioned, the internet will likely be one of your best sources for information. We have a great reference library here, as well you can search throught the archives at Reef Central and Reefs.org.

One of the best books for inverts, in my opinion, is Anthony Calfo's "Reef Invertebrates" book. Its incredibly thorough and has some fantastic information not only on inverts, but different types of tank setups and how they all work.

Another great reference book is "The Conscientious Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Its an excellent book that covers all of the bases in setting up a reef tank and how it all comes together.

Theres lots of other books that people will suggest but IMO, these are definitely two great ones to get you started

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

+1 on "The Conscientious Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.

The following sites are excellent.
www.wetwebmedia.com
www.reefkeeping.com
and
www.advancedaquarist.com

It is great that you are reading up before you invest in equipment and buy livestock.
You will also get the best advice on this board.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:47 AM

Aguabonita is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your help. Looks like you've all given me a great start. I figured it would be best to gain a bit more background before I even begin to ask specific questions. What I'd read so far seemed over the top technical and expensive as hell. It just didn't make sense for a first set up. Like the many freshwater aquarists who've helped me in the past, I'm thinking you folks should be able to steer me towards the indestructible set-up of the marine world. I really appreciate the advice. After some eye strain I'll be back soon with plenty o' questions.

Thanks again,

Dean
Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Reading is good but also is seeing other peoples tanks.

Fencer is arranging a meet/tour here
Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 AM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

My favorite page on the internet for my salt hobby!
Randy Holmes Farley's page of links for his and other articles with regards to salt water chemistry.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=102605
Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguabonita View Post
Thanks for all your help. Looks like you've all given me a great start. I figured it would be best to gain a bit more background before I even begin to ask specific questions. What I'd read so far seemed over the top technical and expensive as hell. It just didn't make sense for a first set up. Like the many freshwater aquarists who've helped me in the past, I'm thinking you folks should be able to steer me towards the indestructible set-up of the marine world. I really appreciate the advice. After some eye strain I'll be back soon with plenty o' questions.

Thanks again,

Dean
One you educate yourself there are many good deals on the equipment for sale part of the forum