Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default Lend a Ph probe or test?

It seems that my ph has been dropping steadily for the last month, but all indications in my tank say that my ph probe is probably shot. The reason I say this is because the corals are doing really well, even better than in the recent past despite the ph drop. It's gone from an average of 8.4 to 7.99 in about a month. I'd like to check it against a test kit or newer probe if anyone around here has one to lend me.

Thanks,

Danny
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

When did you last calibrate your probe?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:07 AM

Default reply

It's been a while, so long that I can't remember. Probably over a year.

Anyway, they aren't supposed to last much longer than 1 year right?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Try cleaning it and recalibrating, as long as it reads the calibration solution quickly without bouncing the reading all over the place it should be good, mine last 2-3 years before I change them out.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 AM

Default reply

Well, I just tried cleaning it as recommended above. The little glass ball at the end kind of disintegrated as soon as I touched it. I guess that means the probe was shot. Maybe it was a bit older than I thought.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
Well, I just tried cleaning it as recommended above. The little glass ball at the end kind of disintegrated as soon as I touched it. I guess that means the probe was shot. Maybe it was a bit older than I thought.
The probe was not shot. This glass is superthin and permeable(Ions) so SUPER delicate. The proper way to clean these probes is to shoot DI water at them from a squeeze bottle, NO physical contact whatsoever. pH probes should be calibrated before each use and stored in pH 7.0 solution.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Swags is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Swags
Default ph probe

I found this article on calibrating ph probes, it is a good read, the interesting thing is, the probe needs to be stored in a ph of 4, it appears that it reduces the life expectancy of the probe.
http://www.phadjustment.com/pH_Probe_Service.htm
AMEN.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Default reply

Interesting read. It doesn't mention anything about leaving the probe in the water at al times, which is what I've always done. Would this have caused the the glass to thin over time? I've felt the glass ball on previous probes that I've owned and they are strong enough to with stand a bit of handling. Mine was barely touched when it broke.

Thanks for the info though, at least now I have a better idea on how to care for the probes.