Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-11-2008, 02:41 AM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road
Default chiller help

does anyone in the lower mainland know where I can get my chiller fixed?
It a pacific coast CL650 and the fan seems to have seized up.

Thanks
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 12-11-2008, 03:15 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Give Wendell a call at OA he would likely know

J
Old 12-11-2008, 03:38 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Did you try to put some oil into the bearings? Sometimes first penetrating fluid if it is real bad and then some oil, like 3in1 electric motor oil into the bearings will get it going again
Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I just had that happen myself, well not seize totally but it made an awful squawking sound when it started up. You can take the plastic cover off and put a bit of 3 in one oil on the fan blade shaft, then turn the fan until it moves smoothly. You may need to disconnect your chiller from your system completely and tip it on its side slightly (don't forget its still full of water...I did ) to get the oil to move into the motor part if thats where its seized. I ended up taking the entire fan mechanism out to deal with it. Its attached by two bolts (you'll need a torx screwdriver set and a crescent wrench) underneath and it comes right out except for a few wires and stuff. My chiller had a lot of dust inside so maybe go at it with a vacuum while you're at it.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:02 AM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replies....unfortunately the fan is totally seized up....wont even turn.
I couldnt get a hold of Wendell but the ladies at J&L told me even though the chiller cost $700.00 its cosidered disposable......so I should just buy a new one.....I laughed really hard.
They didnt look ammused.....lol

I guess I have to find a replacement fan.

On a side note....the same time my chller went down 1 of my heaters decided to stay on full bore.......thank god the temp didnt reach more than 83 before I noticed.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 12-11-2008, 04:33 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I purchased a new fan motor from PCI, cost about 60 if I remember. About 2 years ago. Give them a call or email, they can fix you up